Academic Network for refugees and asylum seekers
The University of Oslo (UiO) and the Oslo and Akershus University College of applied sciences (HiOA) arranges Academic Language Café in Norwegian and English for refugees and asylum seekers.
Who can join?
Refugees/asylum seekers with an academic background who wants to continue their studies or wants to utilize their acquired academic knowledge.
Students at UiO/HiOA who wants to participate may register as guides who will lead the groups in the language café
Academic Language Café in Norwegian and English - depending on the participants level and wishes. The language training will happen through debates, games, puzzles and more.
How does it work?
- Academic Language Café will be arranged every week with focus on oral and written training through different themes and discussions.
- The language café is free of charge and public transport will be paid for if you live in an asylum reception centre.
- The meetings will happen every Thursday between 17:00 and 19:00 from September to December 2017
- The Guides will participate in a course on how to be a good language guide before the café starts up
- Both participants and Guides will receive a diploma to confirm that they have taken part in Academic Network
- Participants needs to have some basic training in English and Norwegian to take part.
- Guides must be fairly fluent in Norwegian and/or English.
Note! Joining Academic Network will not entitle you to enrollment. Neither can the diploma be used as proof of language skills towards the language requirements when applying for higher education.
Registration for guides (UiO and HiOA-students) within September 5th
Registration for participants (refugees and asylum seekers):
For questions, please contact: