Start learning Norwegian today!
The University of Oslo provides Norwegian language classes for international students and staff. We are currently revising our plans to see how these courses may be expanded to include course offers to refugees. Meanwhile, we have made a list of Norwegian Language Resources free of charge available online.
Courses and exercises:
- Introduction to Norwegian: A brand new MOOC, running its first course from 16 January 2017. The course is developed and taught by University of Oslo's own Norwegian language teachers.
- Norwegian on the Web: A useful Norwegian online course with grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary and dialogues, developed at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
- Loecsen is a free online course for basic Norwegian language preparation.
The following requires a minimum of knowledge of Norwegian:
- IGIN is a good and accessible online resource developed by Kirsti Mac Donald for practising Norwegian at three different levels. Interactive grammar exercises with answers and simple explanations.
- Welcome to Exploring Norwegian Grammar by Kirsti Mac Donald contains interactive exercises for self-study and practice. The exercises are related to the book Exploring Norwegian Grammar, but can also be used independently.
- Free online exercises based on the elementary level course book Norsk på 1-2-3 by Kristi Mac Donald and Elisabeth Ellingsen.
- Free online exercises based on the elementary level course book På vei by Kirsti Mac Donald and Elisabeth Ellingsen.
- Free online exercises based on the elementary level course book Med tusen ord by Olaug Strand.
- Mestizo Centre for Language and Culture offers several online courses, and some of them are free: Norsk for deg!
- GREI: Learn Norwegian faster with these online games. Practice with words order and sentence analysis.
- Cappelen Damm free exercises webpage: Interactive exercises of the publisher's textbooks in Norwegian, useful also for those who don't have books.
- VOX: Interactive Norwegian as a second language.
- My language exchange-dot-com: Learn to speak Norwegian. Language Exchange via Email, Text Chat and Voice Chat.
- Norword: Collection of Norwegian language lessons.
- Bokmålsordboka: Official dictionary with definitions and vocabulary – all in Norwegian.
- Lexin: Norwegian dictionary with translation to English and 12 minority languages in Norway (Arabic, Dari, Kurdish – Kurmanji , Sorani, Persian, Polish, Russian, Somali, Tagalog, Tamil, Tigrinja, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese).