UiO has research collaboration with Japanese partners in several areas, such as language and culture, space science, solar and polar research, materials research and climate research.
Cooperation within research and education
UiO's researchers have over many years developed long-term research collaboration with Japanese partners. This has resulted in a growing number of co-authored articles, particularly within the natural sciences, medicine and dentistry.
Co-authorship is largely with partners at Tokyo University, Kyoto University, Osaka University, Hokkaido University and Tokyo Institute of Technology.
Partnerships with top-level institutions in Japan
UiO has an increasing number of partnerships with top-level institutions in Japan, for example:
- UiO's Department of Physics has a close research collaboration with the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA).
- UiO's Centre for Materials and Nanotechnology (SMN) is strengthening its links with Japan's National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS).
- UiO also collaborates with others in industrial research and commercialisation of research within nanotechnology and energy.
- UiO's Department of Physics jointly with Kobe University, has been granted funding under the Norwegian partnership programme UTFORSK for developing educational activities linked to ongoing research collaboration on numerical simulations of rocket-plasma interaction.
- UiO has a strong focus on the Arctic, and UiO's Department of Geosciences jointly with the University Centre at Svalbard, Hokkaido University, the Kitami Institute of Technology and University of Tsukuba, has been granted funding under the Norwegian High North partnership programme for educational activites linked to cryosphere research (CryoJaNo - Cryoshperic Field observations, monitoring and modelling). See also this article on the CryoJaNo Collaboration published by SIU (siu.no).
- UiO is also involved in development of hydrogen/fuel cells research with Japan's National Institute of Advanced Science and Technology (AIST) as well as with Nagoya University and Kyushu University.
Research contact between researchers at UiO and Japanese partners is on the increase within the social sciences (psychology, political science and economics), as well as with UiO's Natural History Museum and Museum of Cultural History.
- UiO combines research and education and has signed 13 student exchange agreements with research partner institutions in Japan.
- More than 400 students have undertaken a student exchange period. In addition, Japanese students participate in UiO's International Summer School and in full degree programmes at UiO.
- Japan is a popular destination for UiO's exchange students and there is a positive growth in the inbound figures.
- The Faculty of Humanities carries out research on Japan's language, literature and culture, and offers research-based Japanese Studies at Bachelor, Master and PhD-levels, and exchange programmes with Japanese partners.
- UiO and Nagoya University signed an MOU and student Exchange agreement in 2015, based on research and higher education Cooperation within Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
Did you know that...
- At UiO, all undergraduate students of Japanese spend a semester of language study at a partner institution in Japan as part of their degree?
- UiO's Department of Physics offers excellent opportunities for student exchange with Japanese partners within space education?
- UiO has been a member of SYLFF (Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund) under the Tokyo Foundation (Nippon Foundation) since 1988?
Get in touch
Office for International Relations and Research Support
Collaborate with our researchers
Would you like to cooperate with us and our researchers in various projects?