This is how UiO handles whistleblowing
At UiO it must be easy to be heard the first time you voice internal criticism. Students and staff who speak out must feel that they are being heard, and that there is a point in their doing so.
What happens when UiO receives a report form
The case shall be dealt with as fast as possible and according to appropriate procedures.
- All reports received shall be registered with:
- from whom (if known)
- briefly what the case is about
- The whistleblower shall receive feedback one week at the latest after the report has been received.
- Within a week of receiving a report, the faculty shall send an e-mail to the Internal Auditing Unit. This e-mail should be brief, anonymised and not contain any personal information. It must contain information about:
- the date when the report was received
- whether the whistleblower is a student or a member of staff
- what the report concerns: for example "cheating in research" or "sexual harassement"
- In the case of reports from students and cases that concern the learning environment, a copy of the e-mail providing the information shall be sent to the Secretariat for the Learning Environment Committee.
- Consider which functions/units need to be informed or involved and on further steps for dealing with the case.
- All deliberations shall be documented.
Are you uncertain how you should follow up the report?
UiO has a number of staff functions where you can seek advice and assistance. You will also find tips and help in our management guidelines.
The management guidelines are being prepared. In the meantime, you can contact the Internal Audit Unit (Norwegian), the Staff Unit for Health, Safety and Environment of the Occupational Health Unit.
Follow-up of the whistleblower
- Maintain confidentiality for the whistleblower
- Inform the whistleblower when the case is closed, and keep him or her informed to the extent regarded as natural or necessary while the case is being dealt with.
Closure of the case
When a formalised case of whistleblowing is closed, a brief report must always be made and sent to the University Director through the Internal Auditing Unit. Reports from students and cases concerning the learning environment shall also be sent to the Secretariat for the Learning Environment Committee.