Norwegian for international researchers - basic level 1
The course provides a "Norwegian survival kit" for newcomers.
Teacher Erik Skuggevik introducing the essentials: kjærest = loved one
Photo: Millimeterpress, John Hughes
After completing basic level 1, participants should be able to:
- understand the key elements of clearly spoken Norwegian on subjects relating to everyday life;
- talk about such subjects, even if the vocabulary is limited and the way of expressing themselves is simple.
The course is based on dialogues, focusing on the use of Norwegian in everyday life. We practise common situations and use the language actively from the very first session. The main focus is on spoken Norwegian. We also practise pronunciation, intonation and accentuation as part of the feedback process.
- International researchers at UiO and accompanying spouses/partners who wish to learn Norwegian.
- International researchers at other research institutions are also welcome to take this course.
No previous knowledge of Norwegian is required. However, participants must be able to speak English.
Number of participants
Maximum 25 participants per group
- 24 class hours; 3 class hours once a week for 8 weeks; start in February, April, September, and November
- Group 1: 7 February 2018 - 4 April 2018, Wednesdays 9-12, no class 28 March.
- Group 2: 7 February 2018 - 4 April 2018, Wednesdays 17-20, no class 28 March.
- NOK 3300 for researchers at UiO and their employed spouses/partners
- NOK 1750 for unemployed spouses/partners of researchers at UiO
- NOK 4100 for external researchers
- Researchers should check with their host department whether full or partial sponsorship for Norwegian language courses is available. Please be aware that it is at the department's discretion how to handle this issue. Therefore, conditions will vary throughout the University.
- The spouse/partner rebate is only valid for spouses/partners who are not otherwise connected to UiO or employed by UiO.
Participants are required to buy the following books at Akademika Bookstore, Blindern Campus (map), prior to course start:
- Levende norsk (Egebakken & Bostrup), NOK 229
- Levende norsk, Grammar and word list (Egebakken, Bostrup & Andersen), NOK 249
Morning class: Hedvig Solbakken, lecturer at the ISS
Evening class: Johan-Marius Sandvei, lecturer at the ISS
For further information, please contact the ISS by e-mail, email@example.com.
To register, please fill out this on-line form. Applications are handled on a 'first come, first served' basis. Since the number of spaces is limited, we encourage you to apply early.
Please have the following information ready before you fill out the form:
- Your contact information
- Your job title and department at UiO or the external institution you are affiliated with
- Contact information of the person or department that will pay for the course, if different than yourself. Please include the name, title and address of where we can send the bill
- Researchers employed at UiO must have their course participation approved by their immediate superior.
- The local administrator is expected to make the necessary arrangements for the approved course.
- Enrollment is binding.