Preparing for a new language
An inspiring way to prepare for your move to Norway is to familiarize yourself with the Norwegian language. There are many ways of doing this. Which train of action suits your needs and wishes best will depend on the amount of available time and resources.
- If you wish to receive formal Norwegian language instruction prior to your departure, we recommend you contact the Norwegian Embassy or Consulate General in your country of residence (norway.info) for information on providers of language courses and private tutors.
- If your stay at UiO is scheduled to start in the autumn term (August), you might consider taking an intensive Norwegian class at UiO's International Summer School.
- For Norwegian language courses and resources availble during your stay at UiO, please consult the webpage on language courses.
- Self-learners might enjoy Klar tale (klartale.no), Norway's easy-to-read Norwegian newspaper.
- Online resources are cited below.
Lykke til! - Good luck!
Basic Norwegian phrases and vocabulary
- Basic Norwegian Phrases and Vocabulary (101languages.net)
- Basic Norwegian Flashcards (flashcardexchange.com)
- LEXIN (udir.no) - online dictionaries for immigrants, available in many languages
Courses & programs
- Norwegian on the web (ntnu.no) - an online Norwegian course developed specifically for international researchers and students by the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (ntnu.no)
- Free Online Language Course (word2word.com) - for basic Norwegian language preparation
- CampusOnline.no (campusonline.no) - online Norwegian courses with guidance offering approved language training for grown-up immigrants; available in self-study and guided format; fee
- NorLearn (norlearn.no) - tailer-made online tuition, individual lessons, group instruction; website provides student reviews; fee
- Before You Know It - Free Language Course Software (byki.com) - a basic language course free of charge (possible to upgrade the course to a more extensive version at a fee)
- Assimil (wikipedia.org) - available for native speakers of Dutch, French, and German (assimil.com); fee
- Nettnorsk (voks.no) - interactive course in Norwegian as a Second Language, leading to the upper secondary school level in Norwegian; free of charge