Visas & permits

Upon entrying Norway, you are under all circumstances personally liable to observe Norwegian Law.

Infringement of regulations pertaining to entry into the country and residence and work here may lead to penal sanctions and expulsion from Norway and the entire Schengen Area.

We strongly recommend that you carefully study the information on this page and the links it refers to. Questions should be addressed to your host department at UiO.


  • Foreign nationals who wish to travel to Norway must, as a rule, have an entry visa. However, there are exceptions to this requirement. Check if you need a visa to travel to Norway ( The type of visa you require depends on the purpose of your visit. The conditions for obtaining a visa vary depending on the type of visa. A visitor's visa gives you the right to stay for 90 days in the course of a six month period. If the intention is to stay for more than 90 days, you must apply for a resident permit.
  • For stays/work in Norway of up to 3 months, international researchers neither need a residence nor a work permit, but visa requirements still apply.
  • In order to stay/work in Norway for more than 3 months, EEA-nationals must comply with a registration process while non-EEA nationals need a residence permit. Nordic citizens may stay and work in Norway indefinately without a permit.
  • For comprehensive information on visa, work and residence permits please consult the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) ( In addition, we recommend the website EURAXESS Norway (  provided by the Norwegian Reseach Council (NRC).

    For the steps you need to undertake upon arrival in Norway, see information on registration with Norwegian authorities.

Applying for visas & permits

General regulations

  • Note: The processing of visa and permits may be very time-consuming, cf. case-processing time ( The application process must therefore be started well in advance of the planned date of arrival in Norway or, where this is possible, immediately upon arrival in Norway. Be sure to carefully complete the appropriate application form and to submit all required documents. This will enhance a correct and time-efficient processing of your application by the involved authorities.
  • Applications for visas and permits must include a formal written invitation from your host department at the University of Oslo confirming your status as a visiting scholar/short-term employee and specifying the purpose and period of your stay (max. three months; if your stay exceeds three months, you must apply for a residence permit, cf. above).
  • Applications for permits from non-EEA nationals who will work for a Norwegian employer must include the form Offer of Employment ( Your host department at the University of Oslo will complete these forms and send them to you.
  • If you are bringing family members, it is recommended that all accompanying members, including children, apply for a residence permit at the same time according to the rules on family immigration (

Regulations pertaining to EEA nationals

EEA nationals may stay and work in Norway for up to 3 months without formal registration. If your stay/work period exceeds 3 months, you must register. It is strongly recommended that you start this procedure well in advance of your arrival. Read more about Registration requirements for EEA nationals (

Regulations pertaining to Non-EEA nationals

Applying for renewal of permits

Requirements for a permanent residence permit

Foreign employees holding a skilled worker permit (, may apply for a permanent residence permit ( after three years. As a rule, this requires the completion of Norwegian language tuition ( UiO offers different types and levels of Norwegian language and culture courses to its international community.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Published June 11, 2010 7:45 AM - Last modified Feb. 1, 2017 4:44 PM