Payment of overtime
Prerequisites for paid overtime
- Overtime must be agreed in advance with the manager holding budget responsibility.
- Overtime can only be paid for work outside normal working hours, as well as on weekends and public holidays.
- The maximum number of hours of overtime per day, week and month is set out in the Working Environment Act and the Basic Collective Agreement. See for example Personnel Handbook for State Employees, point 18.104.22.168.3 (lovdata.no) (Norwegian). The maximum number can be increased by the number of hours’ difference between a 37.5 and 40 hours working week, cf. Personnel Handbook for State Employees, point 22.214.171.124.4 (lovdata.no) (Norwegian).
Overtime is compensated by the following supplements:
- 50 % supplement (morning and evening)
- 100 % supplement (from 20:00 until 06:00 on weekdays, from Friday 20:00 until Monday 06:00 and on public holidays)
- The difference between overtime rates and the normal hourly rate, when overtime is taken out as time off for overtime worked.
- For overtime during the weekend a Saturday and Sunday supplement is paid in addition, cf. section 15 no. 4 of the Basic Collective Agreement (lovdata.no) (Norwegian).
- Overtime must be registered in the HR portal, see user guide.
- Also employees who do not normally record the time they are present at work in the HR portal, for example academic staff, must do so for the day(s) they have worked overtime.
- Employees with several positions in different position codes must not register overtime in the HR portal but must submit an overtime sheet (xlsm) to the local unit's administration.
Payment of overtime
- Overtime is paid together with salary, depending on when the manager approves the hours. Check specific payment dates on the payroll schedule.
- Overtime payment is shown on your pay slip.
Overtime for part-time employees
- Part-time employees can receive overtime if they have completed a full normal working day and overtime work is mandatory. For work on days that by agreement are days off, overtime payment can only be made for hours in excess of the normal work day.
- Part-time employees shall also register overtime in the HR portal, see user guide.
Overtime for hourly-paid employees
- Overtime is not paid to hourly-paid employees who control their own working time.
- Persons with hourly-paid contracts can receive overtime if they have completed a full working day and the work is mandatory. Overtime is registered together with the ordinary working hours on the time sheet (xlsm) that is submitted to the local unit's administration.