Fire safety at the University of Oslo
Fire safety is an important part of the HSE efforts at the University of Oslo (UiO). UiO employees are required to comply with the general fire instructions.
- As a student or employee, you are required to comply with the General fire instructions (pdf) in the event of a fire.
- The goal for fire safety at the University of Oslo is to prevent personal injuries or loss of significant material values at the University caused by fires or near-fires.
Ban on candles and use of naked flame
The use of candles and other forms of naked flame are prohibited in all University buildings. There are exceptions for:
- controlled laboratory work
- in church rooms
- at staffed service counters where food and drink are served under a licence to sell alcohol
Training and drills
- View our information film on fire safety (Norwegian)!
- Fire safety supervisors are appointed for each floor and area of the University buildings and these shall complete an obligatory fire safety course.
- Annual evacuation drills led by the Technical Department are held in all buildings.
- All student associations are obliged to ensure that those who work in the student pubs and those responsible for events complete all necessary fire safety courses.