To use some UiO IT services, you need to use a computer which is on the UiO network. Perhaps you need to read a journal with UiO subscription or access files in your home directory (M:) from home or while travelling. You can use the UiO network remotely through different services. UiO Program Kiosk is a recommended solution, but there are also other alternatives.
Get access to UiO internal IT services
The Program Kiosk is the only solution you can use to access all of the UiO internal services such as
- reading journals with UiO subscription,
- access your home directory (M:) and shared directories,
- use applications available from the Program Kiosk.
You can use Remote Desktop to connect to your office computer from an external location. Then you get access to all directories and programs available from the desktop of your work computer. Remote Desktop is also available from UiO Program Kiosk.
VPN connects your computer to the the UiO network in such a way that your connection is part of the UiO network.
When using VPN it is important to remember:
- to read journals with UiO subscription, you have to use a VPN client, not the WebVPN portal.
- you can not mount your home directory (M:) on your home computer by use of a VPN client. T