Connecting to the wireless network at UiO from Windows 7
This is a guide to connecting to the wireless network at UiO from Windows 7.
Setting up a connection to the wireless network at UiO
1. Get status for your network connection by moving your cursor over the Network icon in the notification area. Click the status message.
This works only if you are within range of the UiO wireless network. If the status message does not appear, right-click the Network icon and select "Connect to a network".
2. A list of available networks is shown. Select the uio network in the list, and click "Connect".
3. Enter your UiO user name and password in the dialogue box:
4. When your access credentials have been accepted, you'll see a dialogue box asking you to confirm a certificate.
5. Click the Details button and check that the certificate has been issued from the server radius1.uio.no or radius2.uio.no. Click Connect.
6. You are now connected to the uio network. The green bars represent the signal strength from the network,
Configuring the network connection manually:
If you succeeded with connecting to the network after finishing the guide above, there is no need to continue reading. But if you are not within range of the UiO wireless network, or if your computer can't detect or connect to the wireless network, you can configure the network connection manually.
1. Search for Manage wireless networks in the Start menu.
2. Select "Add" in the Manage networks window:
3. Windows 7 starts an on-screen guide which will take you through the steps needed to configure the connection. Click "Manually create a network profile" in the first window.
4. Fill in the information needed in the next window, and continue by clicking "Next".
- Network name: uio
- Security type: WPA-Enterprise
- Encryption type: TKIP
- Click to select the box "Start this connection automatically"
5. Select "Change connection settings" in the next window.
6. Select the Security tab in the next window and check that the settings are as shown below. Continue by clicking "Settings".
7. The following settings confirm the certificate issued from the radius servers radius1.uio.no and radius2.uio.no. Make sure that the "Validate server certificate" box is selected and select the box for using the certificate "AddTrust External CA Root". Before clicking "Configure", remember to select "Enable Fast Reconnect".
8. Remove the check mark from "Automatically use my Windows logon name...". This is important since the Windows login name not always is the same as your UiO user name. Click OK to go to the next step, and click OK in the two following windows.
If you are not within range of the UiO network, these are all the preparations you can do, continue the configuration when you are within range of the UiO network. Click "Close".
If you are within range of the UiO network, click "Close" and continue with confirmation of the certificate. You can now log in the wireless network using your UiO user name and password.