Creating a new web page
A step-by-step guide to how you create a new web page in Vortex and publish it on the web.
- Open your web browser and go to the place you want the new web page to be shown. If you change your mind, you can move the page later.
- Click the Log in link at the bottom right of the screen. Please note that if you are already logged in, the link to click will be Manage document or Manage this folder, instead of Log in. If the web page is in Norwegian, the links will be Logg inn and Administrer dette dokumentet or Administrer denne mappen.
- Log in using your UiO user name and password. Depending on whether you are managing a document or a folder, Vortex opens to the View tab of a document or the Contents tab of a folder. The tabs can be seen close to the top of the page:
If you are managing a document, you need to go to the nearest folder. Do this by clicking the previous level in the bread crumb navigation close to the top of the page.
- Click Create document to the right, above the file list.
- Select the document type you need by clicking the radio button to the left of the document type in box which opens. Give the document a name by replacing the default name in the text box below the document type list. Remember to keep the .html file extension. Click Create to create the document.
- The new document is listed with any other documents in the folder. Click the document to open it.
- Click the Edit tab to open the document in edit mode.
- Fill in the various text boxes in the Vortex document by writing the content you want to publish. If you already have the content of you want to publish, you can copy and paste it into the Content box. If you do so, please remember to use the Paste as plain text button or the Paste from Word button in the editing toolbar to remove excess code from Word or other text editors.
Read more about the two Paste buttons.
- Click the Save and view button when the content is ready to be published. Remember to save your document while working on it by clicking the Save button.
- After clicking the Save and view button, the page opens on the View tab to let you check that it looks good and all content is in place. If you are satisfied by the result, you can publish the document to the web, if you find something you need to fix, you can go back to edit mode by clicking the Edit tab.
- Publish the document by clicking Publish next to the document file name.
Click OK in the confirmation dialogue: Are you sure you want to publish? to publish the document and make it available on the Internet.
IMPORTANT: Please remember that not all information should be made publicly available. If you are in doubt about whether your content should be open to the public, please ask your local web editor.