You must apply for a student residence permit and, if applicable, a visa, before entering Norway.
Register an application
Register an application for a student residence permit on udi.no.
UiO organisation number: 971 035 854
E-mail address: email@example.com
Address in Norway: c/o University of Oslo, International Student Reception, PO Box 1083 Blindern, N-0318 Oslo
- When asked to send the application to a reference, please choose NO, as this has no relevance to your application.
Please see the list of documents you must hand in (udi.no).
Some of the required documents are available in Søknadsweb:
- Admission letter from the University of Oslo
- Study Plan letter addressed to the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI)
The Study Plan letter confirms that you are guaranteed student housing. You will therefore not need to present a housing contract.
How do I document financing?
All non-EU/EEA students must submit documentation that they have sufficient funds to cover living expenses.
Students admitted to a bachelor's or master's degree at UiO
The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) differentiates between:
- citizens of countries that are required to have a visa to enter Norway, and
- citizens of countries that have a entry visa exemption agreement with Norway
Please refer to the UDI list of persons who do not need a visa to enter Norway to see which category applies to you.
If you need a entry visa: see Documentation of financing
If you do not need a entry visa:
- You do not need to transfer money to a Norwegian bank account.
- You might be asked to present other means of documentation
Your Study Plan letter (attached to your Admission letter) provides a confirmation from UiO that you have sufficient financial means to cover your period of studies in Norway.
Register with the police after arrival in Oslo
Police registration help
The Oslo Police Department will be present on Wednesday 16 August at UiO to register students and book your appointment with the police.
If you attend the police registration help, you do not need to book an appointment on the UDI application portal.
If you arrive in Oslo after 16 August
If you cannot attend the police registration help or arrive after 16 August you must register with the police within 7 days and book an appointment on your own:
- Register your arrival and book an appointment with the Police on https://selfservice.udi.no/ or by calling tel: 22 34 21 00 (open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 09:00 - 15:00)
- In the online portal, choose: Oslo Police District, Department of Immigration
Bring the following documents for your appointment:
- Passport or national ID card
- Address in Norway written on a piece of paper
- Receipt from the SiO Deposit Account (if applicable)
If you have not obtained a residence permit before coming to Norway
- You need to submit an online application and book an appointment on https://selfservice.udi.no/
- Bring with you all required documents: See UDI list of documents you must hand in (udi.no)