Renewal of residence permit for non EU/EEA-students
Non EU/EEA-students who will be staying in Norway for more than one year must remember to apply for renewal of their residence permit.
Students are advised to start this process early and at least 1 month before the residence permit expires.
How to apply for renewal of residence permit
Please register an application for a renewal of a student residence permit on the
UDI application portal
- UiO organisation number: 971 035 854
- e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
When asked to send the application to the reference you listed, please check NO, as this has no relevance to your application.
Students must submit a statement of their study progression (progress report) when applying for renewal of residence permit. On the UDI application portal you can make an appointment to deliver relevant documents to the appropriate Police station, and you can pay the application fees online.
Together with the application for renewal you must submit:
- Progress report
- Documentation of financing: Self-financed students must enclose documentation on how they will support themselves. Please note that Quota students are exempt from this.
Applicants who cannot register their applications online must submit an application form to the police or the nearest Norwegian Embassy or consulate.
For important information about applying for a renewal, please see How to renew your study permit (UDI).
The progress report is a statement of your study progression and part-time work permit and can be requested from the International Education Office by submitting the online order form.
When and where to collect the progress report
- The progress report will be written in June/July when all exams for the spring semester is registered in our database.
- You will receive an e-mail when it is ready to be collected at the International Student Reception.
For students who are delayed in their studies and need to apply for an extention of residence permit, the report will be written in June/July (if your permit expires in August) or in January (if your permit expires in February) when all the exams for the semester is registered.