The student housing is administered by the Student Welfare Organization in Oslo and Akershus (SiO). All International students can apply for housing through SiO Housing.
The following groups of international students are in principle guaranteed housing (single room) provided they apply online by the given deadline:
- Exchange students (bachelor and master level) admitted for studies for one or two semesters.
- International students who apply for bachelor's degree programmes by 1 February, and receive admission in April/May.
- International students who apply for master's degree programmes by 1 December and receive admission in April/May.
- Quota Scheme students who apply for master's degree or phd programmes by 1 December and receive admission in April/May.
- EU students* who apply for master's degree programmes by 1 March and receive admission in end of April.
- The age limit of 35 does not apply when you have housing guarantee.
*This does not include Nordic students and international students residing in Norway.
Housing application deadline
- 1 June for students starting their studies in the autumn semester.
- 1 November for students starting their studies in the spring semester.
If you have missed the deadline, we recommend that you still apply as soon as possible.
Not included in the housing guarantee
The following groups of international students are NOT guaranteed housing. These students can apply for housing through SiO under the same conditions as Norwegian students:
- Nordic students who apply for degree programmes
- International students who are registered as residing in Norway and have a Norwegian address when they apply.
- International students who apply for bachelor's degree programmes through Samordna opptak and receive admission in July.
- International students who apply for master's degree programmes by 15 April and receive admission in July.
- International students who apply for master's degree programmes by 15 October and receive admission in November/December.
- International students who apply for deferment through the faculty or are granted leave of absence by the faculty.
- You are only guaranteed hosuing the first time you arrive, it is not possible to terminate your contract and then get guaranteed housing again.
Family housing is not included in the guarantee and can NOT be expected to be provided from the beginning of your stay due to very limited availability. This means that you can expect to be on a waiting list for a very long time (can take up to one year).
- Housing contracts are as a rule issued for entire semesters
- The autumn semester is from 1 August to 31 December
- The spring semester is from 1 January - 31 July
Please note that if you move out before the set dates, you must give 2 months notice.
How much you will pay for a room in one of the student villages varies. Please see the price list at SiO housing.
All students who rent housing must pay a deposit. This deposit will be returned to you after you have moved out, providing there is no damage to the room or its furnishings, and that it has been properly cleaned, and all rent has been paid.
All students must pay the deposit before arrival in Norway with the exception of:
- Quota Scheme students
- NOMA students
- Other scholarship programme students
These students should pay the housing deposit after arrival and within the given deadline.
Arrival at the student residences
The SiO Receptions are located at Kringsjå, Blindern Campus and Central Oslo-St Olavsgate 32.
The staff at the reception will give you directions to your student village. See also how to get to UiO
At the student residence receptions, you will receive your room key by showing the receipt for your housing deposit payment.
- Remember to bring with you the letter of admission or the semester card as documentation that you are a student at UiO. You also need to bring the receipt of your housing deposit.
Notify SiO Housing if:
- you arrive in Oslo later than indicated on your application, to avoid cancellation of the room.
- you arrive outside opening hours.