All International students admitted by the International Education Office are in principle guaranteed housing (single room) provided they apply online by the given deadline. The student housing is administered by the The Foundation for Student Life in Oslo (SiO).
You must apply online through SiO Housing which is responsible for reserving rooms for international students and issuing tenancy contracts.
All questions regarding the application form and housing in general must be directed to SiO Housing by filling in this form.
Housing application deadline
- 1 June for students starting their studies in the autumn semester. Students with admission after 1 June are still covered by the housing priority guarantee, but must apply as soon as possible.
- 1 November for students starting their studies in the spring semester.
Please note that family housing is not included in the guarantee and can NOT be expected to be provided from the beginning of your stay due to very limited availability. This means that you can expect to be on a waiting list for a very long time (can take up to one year).
- Housing contracts are as a rule issued for entire semesters
- The autumn semester is from 1 August to 31 December
- The spring semester is from 1 January - 31 July
Please note that if you move out before the set dates, you must give 2 months notice.
All students who rent housing must pay a deposit. This deposit will be returned to you after you have moved out, providing there is no damage to the room or its furnishings, and that it has been properly cleaned, and all rent has been paid.
- The following groups must pay the deposit before arrival in Norway: Erasmus, Nordplus/Nordlys, regular degree students, bilateral exchange students, EEA-programme- and guest students.
- The following groups must pay the deposit after arrival in Norway: Quota Scheme students, NOMA students, Erasmus Mundus and other special agreement and programme students from developing countries and Eastern Europe. These students should pay the housing deposit within one week after arrival.
Arrival at the student residences
- At the student residence receptions, you will receive your room key by showing the receipt for your housing deposit payment.
- Remember to bring with you the letter of admission
- The staff at the reception will give you directions to your student village.
- See also how to get to UiO