The student housing is administered by the Student Welfare Organization in Oslo and Akershus (SiO). All International students can apply for housing through SiO Housing.
Housing application deadline
- 1 June for students starting their studies in the autumn semester.
- 1 November for students starting their studies in the spring semester.
|If you have missed the deadline, you are not guaranteed housing. We still recommend applying as soon as possible.|
What type of housing is included in the housing guarantee?
International students are guaranteed a furnished single room. All furnished rooms include a bed, closet, desk, chair, bookshelf, and table.
- Please note that a family or couple apartment is not included in the guarantee and can not be expected to be provided from the beginning of your stay, due to very limited availability. This means that you can expect to be on a waiting list for a very long time (up to one year).
International students with housing guarantee
The following groups of international students are in principle guaranteed housing (single room) provided they have received admission:
- Exchange students (bachelor and master level) admitted for studies for one or two semesters.
- International students who applied for bachelor's degree programmes by 1 February
- International students who applied for master's degree programmes by 1 December
- EU students* who apply for master's degree programmes by 1 March
*This does not include Nordic students and international students residing in Norway.
The age limit of 35 does not apply for students who are covered by the housing guarantee.
How to apply?
- If the room you want is not available when you apply, choose the room anyway. It may be available when you arrive.
- Remember to write all your first names (prénom) and family/surnames (nom de famille) exactly as in your Letter of admission in the "About you" section
- Under "Social security number" you must fill in your date of birth in the format of DDMMYY
Most internasjonal students live at Sogn or Kringsjå. These are the largest student villages, and are most likely to have available rooms.
After submitting the application
- You will receive an email from SiO when they have approved your application. In this email you will get a temporary personal identity number/SSN for registration on MyPage.
Accept your offer
- Always accept your offer from SiO. If the rooms you have chosen are unavailable, SiO will assign you to a room in a student village where there are available rooms.
- If you'd prefer a different room or student village, you can apply for internal moving after you have moved in.
- If you decline the housing offer, you will no longer be given priority in the housing queue.
- Tenancy contracts are as a rule issued for entire semesters
- The autumn semester is from 1 August to 31 December
- The spring semester is from 1 January - 31 July
- Tenancy contracts will be sent to your MyPage together with instructions for paying the housing deposit.
Please note that if you move out before the set dates, you must give 2 months notice.
You are only guaranteed housing once. It is not possible to terminate your contract and then get guaranteed housing again.
All students who rent housing must pay a deposit. This deposit will be returned to you after you have moved out, providing there is no damage to the room or its furnishings, that it has been properly cleaned, and all rent has been paid.
All students must pay the deposit before arrival in Norway, with the exception of:
- Quota Scheme students
- NOMA students
- Some scholarship programme students
These students should pay the housing deposit after arrival and within the given deadline.
Notify SiO Housing if: