Development Geography provides society with scientific knowledge about variation in living conditions around the world. The discipline thus contributes to policy making to reduce poverty and inequality in the South. The students should have the following qualifications after finishing the master program:
The students will get an overview of how people in the South struggle in their everyday lives as well as how theories make us able to understand the reasons for these struggles through economic, social and political processes at local to global level.
- Obtained advanced general know-how about development problems and processes in the South and their spatial patterns.
- Reached in-depth understanding of a specific development topic through the work with the master thesis.
- Gained solid knowledge of development theories and methods of data collection in a development context.
The students will have training in sound social science methods of data collection and in analyses of empirical information.
- Acquired the ability to analyse a Human Geography issue and to place it in a societal as well as disciplinary perspective.
- Attained the ability to link development theories with empirical data at different geographical levels.
- Understood the need for adherence to ethical norms; for critical assessment of data sources; and for limiting research objectives enabling them to give an independent contribution to the discipline.
The students will become well equipped with knowledge and training in techniques for social science research and for linking empirical data with theories. They will thus be able to make analytical conclusions with the necessary limitations and ethical considerations.
- Reached an advanced level of personal competence enabling independent research on development issues in a Human Geography perspective.
- Acquired an advanced level of insight into development problems and processes in general, which can be used to analyse specific development contexts.
- Obtained an advanced level of written and oral proficiency that provides the necessary basis for contributing to sound public information and creative interventions that may result in a world with less poverty, inequality and environmental degradation.