Completing your studies - checklist
In the checklist for MSc students in Geosciences below you'll find necessary information for you as student finishing your MSc study in Geosciences.
Checklist - complete your studies:
- Front page of the master thesis
- Submitting the master thesis in Studentweb to DUO
- Handing in the master thesis to the Study administration
- Final examination
- Clearance form- almost done
The ordinary deadline for submitting the master thesis is:
- 1 June (admission in the autumn semester).
- 1 December (admission in the spring semester).
The final deadline will be given to you when receiving the answer on your application for approval of master contract (study plan) in the 2nd semester.
When writing large documents, it is helpful to use styles. Styles help with the layout of the document and form the basis for the automatic generation of a table of content.
Please use the MN-faculty layout template, containing suitable styles for a master thesis.
The templates are available in English and Norwegian and built in Word. LaTex is also available:
There are no rules about use of font types or size, but please note that the Department of Geosciences only pays for a maximum of 20 (- or 40, se point 4) color pages. If you have more colour pages than this, you'll have to pay for the extra pages when picking up your thesis from the University Print Centre. They accept VISA and Mastercard.
The master thesis must be submitted to Studentweb within the given deadline (date of deadline at: 23.59 / 11.59 PM). See instructions below:
You will receive a receipt in your UiO-email when the thesis is submitted. Please note that some additional information are to be filled out in Studentweb when submitting (meta data, etc.) so expect some time consume for this and do not start the submission process a couple of minutes before the deadline.
Remember to pay the semester fee and be semester registered for the semester you are submitting your thesis.
After submitting your thesis in Studentweb to DUO, you have to come by the Study administration with a copy of your thesis. Hand it in as a PDF on a USB-stick. You will get the "Location code/Stedkode" and the "Project code/Tiltakskode" from the Study administration, necessary for ordering the print job.
Then upload the thesis as PDF (for printing) to the University Print Centre (Reprosentralen).
The Department of Geosciences covers the following print expenses:
- 10 copies of the thesis and maximum 20 pages in color print per copy*
- 5 copies of the thesis and maximum 40 pages in color print per copy*
Remember to specify which of the, up to 40, pages in your PDF that should be printed in colours.
The University Print Centre will inform you when to pick up your thesis, usually in about 3-4 days. It can be picked up in their office in the basement of Kristian Ottosens' hus (map), entrance B. Akademika book store is in the floor above.
The thesis is supposed to be distributed to the supervisors and examiners as described:
- One copy each to your supervisors, internal examiner og external examiner. Ask your supervisor how to send them and to whom. Usually the external supervisor is interested in having a pdf-version of your thesis in order to start reading it before the printing is complete.
- The rest are yours to keep
* If you have more colour pages in each copy then you have to cover these expences yourself. If not payed, we will forward you the invoice received from the University Print Centre.
Before your final examination can be arranged, the theoretical curriculm (in accordance to the approved master study plan) in your master programme must be completed.
The final examination will normally be arranged in mid/late June or December. The final date for examination should take place no later than 6 weeks after thesis submission. The final MSc examination consists of:
- An oral presentation of the master thesis given by the student (you), open for the public. The presentation should last 30 minutes.
- An oral examination where the candidate (you) defend your thesis and presentation. Present is an external- and internal assessor, together with your supervisor(s).
In order to get your final Master of Science diploma, you'll have to hand in a clearance form for your master study programme. Here you'll get a confirmation from different UiO resources, stating that you have no you have no unsettled obligations towards the university.
Before submitting the clearance form, please have a look here what to do with your research data.
If you are residing in a country abroad, please remember to hand in the clearance form before leaving.
Your MSc diploma will be held back until the clearance form have been submitted, complete with all signatures.
After obtaining your MSc degree, it will take 2-8 weeks to have the diploma ready for you. We will notify you per email when we have received your diploma and it is ready for you to pick up (after submittance of clearance form).
If you'd like, we can send the diploma to your postal mail address by registered mail (with tracking). The shipment will have to be picked up at your local post office, so remember to bring an ID.
Please remember to update your new home address in Studentweb if you are moving, or want to have the diploma sent somewhere else.
Do not hesitate to contact the Study administration if you need assistanse or have any questions.
Visit us in the Geology building, room 206, or send us a e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.