Information meeting and study start
Mandatory information meeting for master students admitted to the master programme in Geosciences, autumn 2017.
The PowerPoint-presentation from the information/orientation meeting can be accessed here: Welcome to the master study in Geosciences (pdf).
The information meeting is mandatory for master students admitted to the Master's programme at the Department of Geosciences, autumn 2017.
During the meeting, we will go through the structure of the programme including the selection of subjects and you will meet the coordinators from the different study options. In the first weeks of the autumn semester, all new master students (that have not taken their Bachelor's degree at the University of Oslo) must complete a mandatory course portfolio in Health, Safety and Environment (HSE).
Students who have completed master's courses prior to the admission should note that they must submit the application for approval of master study plan as early as possible in the first semester.
Students that are unable to meet, must send an email prior to the information meeting to email@example.com and notify us in order to keep their study right. Information from the meeting will be put available at this page after the meeting and students who are unable to attend must familiarize themselves with the information on their own.
Programme for the information meeting
Before the start of the information meeting at 10:15 AM, meet up for registration and coffee.
From 10:15 - 12:00
- Welcome by the Head of Department, Brit Lisa Skjelkvåle and Leader of the education Professor Jon Ove Hagen
- Information from the Study Administration by Karl Johan Ullevål Bakken
From 12:00 - 13:00
- *Fadderlunsj' in the foyer in the Chemistry building (ev. in the garden).
From 13:00 - to ca 14:00
- You will meet the coordinator of your programme option. In separate meetings you will have the chance to discuss the course of study, courses etc with the coordinator of your programme. The places for the meetings are:
- Geophysics – Meeting room,in the ZEB-building (CEED)
- Geology – U37A, the Geology building
- Petroleum geology and Petroleum geophysics – Room 317, the Geology building
- Meteorology and Oceanography – Meeting room, in Forskningsparken/ Oslo Science Park
- Geohazards – Aud 3, the Geology building
- Physical Geography, Hydrology and Geomatics – Room 219, the Geology building
- Environmental Geosciences – Skolestua, the Geology building
Important deadlines for registrations
- 17th of August at 23:59 - Deadline for registration for fall courses in StudentWeb
- You will get to know your results Monday 21 Aug. at latest. From 22 Aug.-1 Sept. it is possible to sign up for courses in the supplementary admission round. Admission will in this round be given after the “first come, first served” principle.
- 1st of September - Deadline for paying the semester fee and registration for the semester in StudentWeb.
For more information about deadlines see: www.uio.no/studier/registrering/melding
Week 34/35 - Lectures commence
During these weeks, the lectures in most of the courses start up. See the course semester page for time and place for the first lecture. All courses at the Department of Geosciences have mandatory attendance on the first lecture.
If you have problems making it to the first lecture, you must give notice to the Study Administration at studieinfo (at) geo.uio.no ahead of time.
Contact us if questions
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the Studies administration; studieinfo (at) geo.uio.no
For academic questions, please refer to your contact person at the study discipline.