How to apply?
Admission is once a year. Application process and deadlines are different for international and Nordic applicants.
- 1 December: International applicants
- 15 April: Extended deadline for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens
- 15 April: Nordic citizens and applicants with a permanent residence in Norway
International applicants except nordic citizens and applicants with a permanent or renewable residence in Norway.
Nordic citizens and applicants with a permanent or renewable residence
permit in Norway.
Formal admission requirements
Admission to this master's degree programme/study option requires:
- country list. and a completed bachelor's degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor's degree. Applicants with foreign education, please refer to the
- a specialization defined by the programme/study option (Special admission requirements - see below)
- a minimum grade point average (GPA) of C (in Norwegian scale) or equivalent from the specialization in your degree.
- Norwegian and English language requirement OR special enhanced requirement in English specified below:
a) Passed examination in English foundation course (140 hours/5 periods per week) in Norwegian upper secondary school with a minimum grade of 4 (or an equivalent grade from a Nordic upper secondary school) or alternatively passed examination in English from second and/or third school year, or
b) An internationally recognised English language proficiency test.
Special admission requirements
- A minimum of 80 ECTS informatics credits including 30 credits on beginner level (1000-courses) and 20 credits on advanced level (2000- and 3000-courses)
- At least one of approved group of 40 credits within one of the areas philosophy, linguistics, psychology or languages.
Ranking of applicants
Applicants are ranked according to their grade point average (GPA). Applicants who can not be estimated according to their grade point average, will be ranked based on individual assessment.
Recognition of prior education
If you have previous higher education, you may apply for specific recognition of this education as part of your degree. Education from both Norwegian and non-Norwegian higher education institutions may be recognised. Recognition depends upon whether the education meets the specific requirements of your degree. Read more about recognition of prior education at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
For applicants with external education, only 20 credits of unspecified informatics can be used as part of the scientific basis.