Norwegian version of this page

Deferred admission

If you have accepted your offer of admission to a Master's degree programme (1,5/2-years) at the Faculty of Social Sciences, but are prevented from attending, you may apply for deferred admission.

If you have accepted an offer through the Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service (Samordna opptak) please visit the webpage about deferred studies (only in Norwegian).

Who can apply for deferred admission?

If you have been admitted to and accepted your offer to a Master's degree programme (1,5/2-years) at the Faculty of Social Sciences, you can apply for deferred admission for two semesters (1 year). The reason why students cannot apply for deferral in one semester only is due to the course structure and planned progression of the Master's degree programmes.

On what grounds can you defer your admission?

You can apply for deferred admission on the following grounds:

  • Compulsory military- or alternative civil service
  • Birthgiving/adoption
  • Long-term illness
  • Exceptional circumstances

Exceptional circumstances, defined as circumstances outside of your control that prevents you from studying for large parts or the entire duration of your deferral application (the entire year).

Requirements for documentation

Your application must be accompanied by appropriate documentation. Valid documentation might for instance be a doctor's note, birth certificate, due date confirmation, or enlisting letter from Armed forces.

The documentation must:

  • be originals or certified copies.
  • confirm that you will be prevented from studying for large parts or the entire duration of the deferral application (the entire year).

How do you apply?

You must complete and sign the application form.

The form and all necessary documentation must be sent by regular mail to: Faculty of Social Sciences, Pb 1084 Blindern, 0317 Oslo.

You can also drop off the application at the SV Student Affairs, located on the ground floor in the Eilert Sundts building.

Application form (pdf)


  • September 1st

What you will need to do to commence your studies after deferral of admission

If you have been granted deferral for two semesters, you should not register as a student in Studentweb or pay the semester- and copyright fee for either of those semesters.

You do not need to submit a new application for admission into the study programme after the end of your deferral period, but you must contact the offering department/centre within June 1st to be guaranteed admittance.

Note that you are responsible for keeping up to date on deadlines for registration and payment of semester- and copyright fees.

Published June 17, 2015 3:19 PM - Last modified Sep. 26, 2017 10:46 AM