INF2810 - Functional Programming
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Programming in a functional language. Recursion. Abstract data types. Data directed programming, memoization, object oriented programming, lists and streams. The strengths and weaknesses of functional programming compared to imperativ programming. Semantics for evaluating function calls and interpreting functional programs.
- master foundational techniques from the paradigm of functional programming.
- be trained in using abstraction to structure programs.
- be able to explain and use recursion in general, as well as know how to distinguish between recursive and iterative processes.
- be able to write and use higher-order functions.
- master techniques for delayed evaluation for working with infinite data structures such as streams.
- have insight in different models for understanding how code is evaluated.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 or Mathematics (S1+S2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).
HUMIT1700 - Grunnkurs i programmering for humanister (discontinued)/INF1000 - Introduction to object-oriented programming (continued)/INF1100 - Introduction to programming with scientific applications (continued)
- 10 credits to HUMIT2710 - Funksjonell programmering (discontinued)
- 10 credits to HUMIT2710MN - Funksjonell programmering (discontinued)
- The content is covered by the earlier course SLI230
- 2 credits to IN211
2 hours of lectures and two hours of group work per week. In addition there will be guidance for students at their computers. Mandatory assignements must be completed during the course. The firts assignment will be handled individually. The three next will be solved in groups (2-3 students). Rules for mandatory assigments.
4 hour written digital exam. The mandatory assignments must be approved prior to the exam.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
If you wish to withdraw from the exam you must do so in Studentweb at least two weeks prior to the deadline. Failure to do so will be counted as one of the three opportunities to sit the exam.
The subject is regarded equal to HUMIT2710 - Funksjonell programmering/HUMIT2710MN - Funksjonell programmering/SLI230 when practicing exam regulations.
It is strongly recommended to attend the først lecture since it will be given important information.