INF5520 - Estimation and planning of software projects
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Realistic estimates of development effort and uncertainty are essential for proper pricing and planning of software projects. This course gives knowledge about and practical skill in estimating and planning of software projects.
You will learn about:
- Reasons for estimation error
- How to use the estimated effort in pricing, budgeting and planning of software projects.
- How to collect and use historical data when estimating software development work
- Estimation and planning in agile and other types of projects
- Function point, analogy and parametric estimation
- Prediction markets
- Expert estimation
- Strengths and weaknesses of different types of estimation methods
- Assessment of the uncertainty of effort estimates
- Combination of estimates
- How to select and tailor estimation methods
- How to quality assure effort estimates and processes
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Maxiumum 30 participants (INF5520 and INF9520 together).
Recommended previous knowledge
Basic knowledge about software development will be assumed. (For example: INF 1050)
10 credits overlap with INF9520 - Ressursestimering, usikkerhetsvurdering, planlegging og budsjettering av it-prosjekter
Two hours lecture each week. Mandatory assignments which must be approved in order to get the project evaluated.
Mandatory assignments must be approved in order to get the project evaluated.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more:
Withdrawal from an examination
If you wish to withdraw from the exam you must do so in Studentweb at least two weeks prior to the deadline. Failure to do so will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.