INF5530 – Foundations of Software Testing
The course covers basic concepts in software testing, such as:
- Fundamental concepts in testing
- Testing throughout the software life-cycle
- Static test techniques
- Test design
- Test management
- Tools support for testing
At the end of the course you will know how to
- apply modern software testing processes in relation to software development and project management,
- create test strategies and plans, design test cases, prioritize and execute them,
- manage incidents and risks within a project, and
- contribute to efficient delivery of software solutions and implement improvements in the software development processes.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
No obligatory prerequisites beyond the minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway.
5 credits overlap with INF9530 - Foundations of Software Testing (discontinued)
- The teaching is a combination between presentation of theoretical concepts and exercises and discussions. It is dialogue-oriented and with a practical approach.
- 2 hours tuition per week for 7 weeks. Discussion of project tasks.
- Project assignment and written exam (2 hours). Both parts count 50 % each. The project assignment is an independent, individual work to be delivered twice.
- Both assignment and written exam must be passed and passed in the same semester.
Language of examination
The project assignment must be written in English
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This subject does not offer new examination in the beginning of the subsequent term for candidates who withdraw during an ordinary examination or fail an ordinary examination. For general information about new examination, see www.mn.uio.no/studier/admin/eksamen/utsatt-og-ny-eksamen/index.html and www.mn.uio.no/english/studies/admin/examination/retaking-examinations/
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
It is strongly recommended to attend the first lecture since it will be given important information.