KJM9220 - Heterocyclic Chemistry
The subject is an advanced course in organic chemistry emphazing the chemistry of heterocyclic compounds. The subject is suitable for Ms students in organic chemistry and related areas.
After completion of the course you will
- Be familiar with the structures of important classes of heterocyclic aromatic organic compounds
- Be able to classify simple heterocyclic aromatic compounds as electron deficient or electron rich and explain their reactivity based on these properties
- Know how selected organometallic reactions can be applied in heterocyclic chemistry
- Be able to explain on a mechanistic level, reactions and synthesis of important nitrogen containing electron deficient heterocycles; pyridines, diazines and their benzo-condenced analogs
- Be able to explain on a mechanistic level, reactions and synthesis of important oxygen containing electron deficient heterocycles; pyrilium and benzopyrilium ions, pyrones and benzopyrones.
- Be able to explain on a mechanistic level, reactions and synthesis of important electron rich heterocycles; furans, pyrroles and thiophenes and 1,3-azoles, and benzo-condenced analogs
- Be able to explain on a mechanistic level, reactions and synthesis of purines
PhD candidates from the University of Oslo should apply for classes and register for examinations through Studentweb.
If a course has limited intake capacity, priority will be given to PhD candidates who follow an individual education plan where this particular course is included. Some national researchers’ schools may have specific rules for ranking applicants for courses with limited intake capacity.
PhD candidates who have been admitted to another higher education institution must apply for a position as a visiting student within a given deadline.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with KJM5220 - Heterocyclic Chemistry
- 9 credits overlap with KJ423
The course consists of 30hours lectures, 10 hours exercises.
Oral exam counts 100 % of final grade.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more:
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.