ENT4350 - Entrepreneurial Sales and Marketing
The course's focus and purpose is to develop your knowledge and experience in practical sales and marketing efforts relevant for young start-up companies. The course covers both traditional and digital strategies and techniques and how they are applied to attract initial interest and closing sales. Important differences when approaching individual consumers versus other businesses are given special attention.
The course will use the venture creation project you are developing in ENT4360 - Student Venture Creation Project as an active learning arena to develop your sales and marketing skills.
After taking this course, you will:
- Have a solid understanding about market entry strategies for technology companies in general and the different challenges and techniques when approaching consumers verses businesses.
- Be able to make a justified selection based on a solid understanding about digital marketing techniques and strategies including search engine optimization, search engine marketing, content marketing, influence marketing, social media optimization etc. as well as the role of social media.
- Have a solid understanding about brand creation and brand management strategies and techniques for start-up firms.
- Be able to apply entrepreneurial bootstrapping and project management techniques, i.e. how to get things done with limited resources.
- Be able to plan and carry out effective sales and marketing efforts targeting both consumers and businesses.
- Be able to conduct market research running focus groups and conducting customer interviews and how to apply the results most efficiently in an marketing effort.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
The course is available only for students admitted to the study programme Entrepreneurship (master's two years).
Recommended previous knowledge
The course is designed to be taken in parallel with ENT4360 - Student Venture Creation Project.
- 2 credits overlap with ENT4320 - Marketing Management
- 2 credits overlap with ENT4310 - Business economics and marketing (discontinued)
Weekly classes throughout the semester that include lectures, in-class activities and group exercises. In addition, readings and group/individual assignments between classes.
Due to the significant amount of group exercises and in-class activities in this course, 80% attendance of the lectures is mandatory. Completion of mandatory attendance is required in order to pass the course.
The course grade is calculated based on the following components:
- A final group assignment including an oral group presentation accounting for in total 50 % of the score. Students in each group are given the same score. Group members who do not fulfill their obligations can be scored individually from the group.
- Individual assignments/quizzes given during the semester accounting for in total 50 % of the overall score.
Failing a graded assignment does still allow participation in the remaining exams. All exams and assignments must be taken during the same semester.
Completion of mandatory attendance is required in order to pass the course.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.