HMAN4210 – Leadership and management
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course explores the rich field of management as a science and an art and explores in depth the challenges in managing health care organizations. Specific management topics like clinical leadership, team effectiveness and innovation management will be discussed. The course also aims to give the participants experience in developing their own leadership competencies.
You will learn theories on:
- Clinical management
- Management structures in healthcare organizations
- Motivation and innovation in healthcare
- Team effectiveness and communication
- Leadership and influence strategies
You will learn how to:
- Be able to analyze leadership cases from different theoretical perspectives
- Be able to reflect and apply contemporary theories on real situations in health care organizations
- To a certain extent be able to personally use different communication and leadership techniques in different management situations
- Increased awareness of the possibilities and limits of management in healthcare organizations
- Be able to develop personal leadership competency
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
- 5 credits overlap with HME4209 – Leadership and organization (discontinued)
- 5 credits overlap with HMM4201 – Leadership and organization (discontinued)
Access to teaching
A variety of contact hours (i.e. hours spent by students on activities guided by teaching staff), independent work, compulsory work placements, preparation for assessment and the time necessary for the assessment.
Written school exam (100%) (3 hours).
The exam is digital.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
For students at Eu-HEM: English
For students at HEPAM: The problem set will be given in English. Answers can be given in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
For HEPMA students:
For Eu-HEM students:
An EU-hem student cannot present her or himself for the examination in a course more than two times. There will be held re-sits for EU-hem students who have failed an exam or who have legitimate absence (usually illness) in January and August. If you are entitled to a re-sit you must contact the student advisor via email no longer than one week after the result of the exam has been published.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.