HMED4100 - Fundamentals of medicine
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
You will learn:
- Basic anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology
- Basic knowledge of some main diseases of the cardiovascular system , renal system, gastroenterologic system, cancer, central nervous system, respiratory system, endocrinologic system, pregnancy
- Basic knowledge of diagnostic tests
- Ethical dilemmas in decision-making
You will learn how to
- Understand basic principles of the how the human body functions
- Understand the basics of some common diseases
- Understand the interpretation of diagnostic tests
You will attain:
- Basic understanding of the of some common diseases in order to be able to communicate with health personnel as a health care manager
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
5 credits overlap with HMM4401 - Health and medicine (discontinued)
Lectures, discussions, exercises.
A final written exam (4 hours).
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
For students at Eu-HEM: English
For students at HEPAM: The problem set will be given in English. Answers can be given in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
For HEPMA students:
For Eu-HEM students:
An EU-hem student cannot present her or himself for the examination in a course more than two times. There will be held re-sits for EU-hem students who have failed an exam or who have legitimate absence (usually illness) in January and August. If you are entitled to a re-sit you must contact the student advisor via email no longer than one week after the result of the exam has been published.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.