MF9030E – Introductory course to the medical PhD program, INTRO II
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Intro II is a mandatory course, held in the third semester of the PhD program at the Faculty of Medicine. The course is part of the implementation of the Norwegian Qualifications Framework in the Faculty’s PhD education. The overall objective is to give participants relevant practical skills such as scientific medical writing, writing for the public and media, as well as presentation skills, including poster presentations. The concept of innovation will also be a topic in this course.
As a participant, the candidate will be given an introduction to the various topics, combined with discussions and practical exercises. The course aims to motivate and help participants communicate their research in a professional and relevant way to different target groups, using various communication channels, both written and oral.
After the introductory course participants should:
- Know about key elements in writing scientific articles related to their research
- Understand common features and differences between writing scientific articles and popular scientific articles
- Know how to approach the media with information about their research
- Be able to make good scientific posters and hold poster presentations
- Be able to lecture about their research to different target groups, using different visual devices
- Have knowledge about commercial innovation and non-patent innovation.
MF9030E is restricted to PhD candidates at the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Oslo who are in their 3rd semester or who have been on the PhD programme for more than 3 semesters
Applicants who are admitted to a PhD programme at UiO apply for this course in StudentWeb.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
No obligatory prerequisites beyond the minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway, but it is presumed that the candidate has completed MF9010E Introductory course to the medical PhD programme
5 credits overlap with MF9030 – Introduksjonskurs for det medisinske ph.d.-programmet, INTRO II
MF9030E Intro II includes:
1. Lectures and exercises, with elements of group work. Participants will also have the opportunity to discuss examples connected to their research with each other. Participation in at least 80% of the teaching is required in order to pass the course. Attendance will be registered.
In order to pass the course MF9030E intro II the following must be completed:
1. Two written assignments must be submitted one week prior to the course:
- a scientific text in English
- a popular scientific text
More information about these assignments will be given 3-4 weeks prior to the course.
2. A home exam to be submitted two weeks after the course
Use of sources and citation
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.