Security and defence policy
Are you interested in security and defence policy? Write about a field that coincides with our research fields, receive a scholarship and join a stimulating research community.
Photo: Norwegian Armed Forces
The master’s degree thesis must pertain to one of the four areas of study at the Norwegian Institute for Defence Studies:
- Norwegian and European security
- Civilian-military relations
- Asian security studies
- Transatlantic studies
The scholarship holder
As a scholarship holder, you will be assigned an academic contact person at the institute. We can also assist with access to:
- relevant literature and other source material
- access to the institute’s academic and military community
- follow-up and opportunities for supervision
- participation in relevant seminars, workshops and conferences
- contact with civilian and military organizations and collaboration partners
Should the institute so decide, scholarship holders will be required to submit a summary of their thesis with a view to publication in one of the institute’s regular periodicals. In addition, scholarship holders may be required to take some limited part in academic activities (such as editorial work, planning of seminars and conferences, research assistance etc.).
Moreover, the institute will accept applications for a travel allowance in the context of fieldwork/data collection.
The scholarship is granted for a period of up to six months, but can be extended in exceptional cases. Currently, the scholarship amounts to NOK 4500 per month, and is exempt from taxation.
Closing dates: 15 May and 15 November.
The application must comprise:
- Information on the applicant’s name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- Place of study, name of supervisor, project start-up/planned submission.
- Application for a master’s degree scholarship (approximately one page).
- Project description (1-3 pages).
- Brief CV.
- Certified copies of diplomas/transcripts of grades from a university/university college.
The academic quality of the project will be the deciding factor.
Responses to the application can be expected within a month after the closing date. Grounds for acceptance or rejection will not be given. Application papers will not be returned.