Dangerous Questions: Why Academic Freedom Matters
Are some questions too dangerous to ask? What happens to scholars and students who ask those questions? How can you contribute to strengthening core university values, such as academic freedom? Join this discussion in Ljubljana 13 June 2018
Launch of the MOOC: Dangerous Questions: Why Academic Freedom Matters
Join us to discuss these and other important questions at an upcoming special event organized by the EU-funded ‘Academic Refuge’ project.
The project aims to improve the capacity of European universities to assist refugees and threatened academics on campus and to promote understanding and respect for higher education values. Together with speakers and participants from Slovenia and across the region, we will discuss current threats to academic freedom worldwide, as well as the role of universities in welcoming and supporting refugees and scholars facing threats to their lives and their work.
The event, which is free and open to the public, will serve as the launch of a new Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on the same topic, entitled: “Dangerous Questions: Why Academic Freedom Matters.” The MOOC is an interactive course (also free of charge) which will be launched in June 2018 on the Futurelearn platform.
Featured speakers at the event
- Sonja Biserko, Founder of the Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Serbia
- Prof. Dr. Branka Kalenić Ramšak of the University of Ljubljana
- at-risk scholar from Serbia
- representatives from the Academic Refuge project partners: the University of Oslo, the University of Ljubljana, the Network of Universities from the Capitals of Europe (UNICA) and Scholars at Risk, an international network of higher education institutions dedicated to protecting scholars and promoting academic freedom worldwide.
See the programme for further details.
Who is it for?
- Interested members of the Public
- NGOs, government representatives, and international organizations.
- Academic and administrative university staff
- especially those with an interest in the human rights of higher education communities
- involved in welcoming refugees and threatened academics on campus.
- working in international education
- involved in negotiating or implementing inter-university partnerships
- working on inclusion and widening participation
- interested in promoting higher education values
- From Slovenia as well as other countries
Registration for the launch event in Ljubljana
Participation is free of charge. We invite you to register by 25 May 2018
Join the MOOC
- “Dangerous Questions: Why Academic Freedom Matters” (Course page on Futurelearn)
Starting 4 June 2018 and 29 October 2018