Strategic Advisory Board
The Strategic Advisory Board (SAB) is an advisory panel consisting of internationally renowned and acclaimed leaders and academics.
SAB visits the University of Oslo in December 2012, Seen from the left: Frans van Vught, Shaheen Sardar Ali, Esko Aho, Peter Agre, Toril Moi. (Photo: John Hughes)
A central point of the University of Oslo’s ten-year strategy, Strategy 2020, is to strengthen UiO's position internationally as a leading research-intensive university. In 2020 the University of Oslo intends to be more visible, attractive and engaged in the international area than it is at present.
The Strategic Advisory Board will function as a source of expertise and advice to support and strengthen UiO’s capacity to realise the ambitions of this long-term strategy. Their expertise will be called upon to review UiO’s progress and propose alternative initiatives. Amongst the questions UiO are particularly keen to address are:
- UiO’s profile and how this can be best developed
- UiO’s position in terms of international competiveness and how UiO might best respond to global influences
SAB has reported to Rector Ole Petter Ottersen. Esko Aho will present SAB's work and the report to the University Board on Sept 10 2014. Any follow-up actions on recommendations from the SAB will be discussed and decided upon by the University Board.
SAB members 2012-14
- Esko Aho, Senior Fellow, Harvard University; Former Prime Minister of Finland, Finland. (Chairman of the board).
- Peter Agre, Professor, Johns Hopkins University, USA
- Shaheen Sardar Ali, Professor, Warwick University; Pakistan/Britain
- Toril Moi, Professor, Duke University, USA
- Erwin Neher, Professor Emeritus, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Göttingen, Germany
- Frans van Vught, Rector Emeritus, University of Twente, the Netherlands
- Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, Professor, Columbia University, India/USA*
* While Professor Spivak accepted the invitation to serve, she was unfortunately unable to participate in the work of the committee.
Letter of Mandate (pdf)