Knowledge – responsibility – commitment: For a sustainable world
The University of Oslo shall:
- promote independent, ground-breaking, long-term research
- educate students with the knowledge, ability and willingness to create a better world
- strengthen its dialogue with the outside world and work to ensure that knowledge is utilised
- be an innovative organization and an attractive educational institution in which to work and study
For more than two centuries, UiO has studied, challenged and shaped Norwegian society and developed knowledge of value for the entire world. The quality and breadth of research and education places UiO in a unique national position and forms the basis of UiO's status as a leading European research-intensive broad-based university.
UiO's strong position is the result of goal-oriented and systematic work over many years. In the period leading up to 2030, we will further develop the quality of research and education in order to strengthen UiO’s position in the upper echelon of European universities. UiO will continue to build on academic qualities, collegial values and organizational strengths and be an open and inclusive community for students and staff.
The world faces challenges that will require efforts from the entire global community. The climate crisis emerges as the greatest challenge of our time, and UiO will take responsibility for contributing to solutions through our social mission: to educate highly qualified students, conduct long-term basic research and work to ensure that knowledge is utilised.
Loss of natural diversity, health and welfare challenges, polarisation, migration and war are examples of areas that will require interdisciplinary and innovative solutions. As an internationally oriented broad-based university, UiO has exceptional prerequisites for successfully developing strong interdisciplinary and innovative environments. Through cooperation across academic, institutional and national boundaries, we will develop knowledge that contributes to a sustainable world.
The academic freedom and institutional autonomy that support this are fundamental prerequisites for UiO to be able to fulfil its social mission. These prerequisites allow room for universities to challenge, criticize and prepare the groundwork for new perspectives, new knowledge and new solutions. UiO shall exercise and defend academic freedom in dialogue with society, both nationally and internationally.
UiO shall be a central steward of scientific tradition,culture and methodology. UiO shall both form the present and work in the long term. UiOs activities shall be characterised by high ethical standards, high quality and a willingness to make bold and innovative choices.
The University plays an important role in preserving Norway’s cultural history and has a special responsibility for the renewal and dissemination of knowledge about Norwegian society, language, history and nature. UiO shall be a conscious bearer and steward of culture at the intersection between tradition and renewal.
Strategy 2030 follows up on Strategy 2020 by emphasising UiO as a knowledge organization with a clear and binding integration between research, education and knowledge in use. Strategy 2030 is based on four interdependent ambitions with objectives that outline the direction of UiO’s development during the upcoming strategy period.
- UiO will develop outstanding research environments throughout the breadth of the institution.
- UiO will further develop disciplinary depth and interdisciplinary cooperation and lead the way in the development towards a sustainable society.
- UiO will work systematically for the development and sharing of research infrastructure and data resources.
- Through goal-oriented recruitment and systematic career follow-up, UiO will develop research talent for academia, community life and trade and industry.
- UiO will intensify its efforts related to research ethics and research integrity.
UiO's advantage is the high quality that permeates its organization and long-term basic research throughout the breadth of the university's disciplines and activities. Our academic breadth and depth give us a unique starting point for contributing to sustainable solutions that require both new technology and a better understanding of the interaction between people, nature, society and technological solutions. We intend to move the boundaries of knowledge within the disciplines and design interdisciplinary solutions for complex social challenges.
Advanced physical and digital infrastructures play an increasingly important role in both research and education. UiO will work systematically to achieve more sharing and better accessibility to infrastructure and data resources. There is a great need for long-term investments, and a roadmap has been drawn up for priorities. Based on the roadmap, UiO will invest in, develop and maintain infrastructure that helps to strengthen our international position as a research-intensive university.
It's important to be successful in the competition for talent. UiO will conduct goal-oriented recruitment and develop outstanding researchers and research environments. The process of recruitment and assessment shall be open and transparent with an emphasis on quality and academic assessments. Younger researchers should be offered predictable frameworks for the development of their careers.
A positive and strong research culture based on high scientific standards and ideals must form the premise for all research activities. Knowledge and awareness of research ethical norms is something all academic environments and all levels of the organisation must safeguard through systematic training and continuous awareness.
- UiO shall be an outstanding educational institution that provides research-based teaching of a high international calibre.
- UiO will educate students who place their subjects in a broader social perspective and lead the way in the green shift.
- UiO will increase the relevance of programmes of study to research and working life and students' awareness of their own competence.
- UiO will develop and renew the programmes of study for all student groups and respond to society's need for interdisciplinary knowledge.
- UiO will make it possible for students to take part in exploratory and innovative learning that motivates them and makes them a resource for each other.
- UiO shall use methods of work and assessment that activate students' knowledge and experience.
- UiO will offer research-based and flexible continuing- and further education.
The social challenges of our times require global solutions, and UiO will renew its international educational cooperation. Through strengthened European cooperation, UiO will reach out globally in new ways and with a greater collective power than today. Together with other research-intensive universities, UiO will facilitate integrated courses of study across languages, national borders and subjects.
Based on a stronger link between research and education, UiO will continue to develop as an ambitious educational institution. Professional and general education shall be more closely linked to research activities and working life and motivate students to increase their efforts and achievements. In order to meet students' social involvement, academic desires and ambitions, the study options should be made more flexible, and there should be an increase in the number of interdisciplinary study options. UiO will become a hub for student innovation in the Oslo region.
UiO will continue to develop teaching and learning methods that stimulate ethical reflection, critical thinking, creativity and problem-solving ability. The programmes of study will develop students' social responsibility and awareness of values and choices. Digitisation shall be integrated into disciplines andlearning processes. Students will take part in an academic and social academic community where they are a resource in the development of teaching and learning.
An education from UiO lays the foundation for lifelong learning, and students should be able to return for academic updating. UiO shall respond to society's need for continuing- and further education in disciplines where we have a particular advantage.
UiO will strengthen its dialogue with the outside world and work to ensure that knowledge is utilised
- UiO will contribute to sustainable social development and the green shift.
- UiO will contribute to value creation and new jobs through innovation and entrepreneurship.
- UiO will contribute to knowledge-based dialogue and opinions and be present where important discussions take place.
- UiO shall have socially relevant dissemination arenas that are visible and accessible.
- UiO will exploit all the opportunities that the new life science building provides in responding to society's expectations.
- UiO will conduct a comprehensive campus development that safeguards the breadth of our activities and strengthens important collaborative relationships in the Oslo region.
Knowledge should be used to the benefit of society, develop a liberal democracy and contribute to sustainable global development. By working to ensure that knowledge is utilised, UiO will stimulate the development of new ideas, technologies and initiatives to improve services, resolve social needs and contribute to the green shift. UiO shall promote innovation and entrepreneurship.
Society's confidence in research and scientific knowledge is strengthened through openness and transparency. To ensure continued high legitimacy for UiO as a knowledge organization, we must open ourselves to the world to an even greater extent. The dissemination of the role, methodology, uncertainty and integrity of science must constitute part of our dialogue with society. Through open science, the basis is established for a knowledge-based democratic society and knowledge-informed decisions.
UiO will focus on dissemination arenas and activities throughout the breadth of the organization. An important part of UiO's dissemination work is carried out by the university museums and the university library. These parts of the activity should be linked more closely to the other units at UiO.
The life science building will be established in the upcoming strategy period and will provide significant opportunities for the development of life sciences and academic convergence. The establishment is also important for the further development of cooperation between UiO and the university hospitals. The Blindern area will undergo major changes as a result of the new building. An important task during the strategy period will be to further develop Blindern so as to provide opportunities for academic renewal throughout the breadth of UiO's activities.
Through a goal-oriented campus development, UiO's core tasks will be more closely connected to society. This is important for achieving increased knowledge sharing and innovation and to contribute to new jobs. Together with Oslo Municipality and the Student Welfare Organization (SiO), UiO will conduct a campus development that promotes cooperation with cultural and working life, and that helps create academic and social meeting places for students, staff and visitors.
UiO shall be an innovative organization and an attractive educational institution in which to work and study
- UiO will work systematically to create a safe and good working and learning environment, greater diversity and an inclusive culture for students and staff.
- UiO will adopt innovative organizational-, working and learning methods with efficient utilization of digital resources.
- UiO will provide staff and students with better opportunities for professional and academic development, and better opportunities to meet changes in technology, society and working life.
- UiO will reduce its own climate footprint and enable staff and students to make environmentally conscious choices.
People are UiO's most important resource. Taking good care of staff and students is essential for us to succeed with our social mission. UiO will facilitate a good student experience that provides strong academic and social affiliation to the university and to Oslo as a student city.
At UiO, everyone should be included in a stimulating academic environment and participate in an engaging, good and safe working and learning environment that brings out the best in everyone. This involves an active equal opportunity policy and a recruitment practice that creates diversity and ensures equal rights. UiO will continue its work to reduce temporary employment and to further develop an integrated personnel policy. UiO shall be characterized by collegial participation, creative interaction and good management.
UiO will be an innovative organisation that takes advantage of academic opportunities and responds to new social needs. A structure and culture will be developed for close interaction between students and staff, and it will be easier to research, teach and study across disciplines and units. Developing new competencies, new skills and ethical awareness is important for us to be able to implement and master changes to methods of work and cooperation, disciplines and methodology. Belonging to UiO as a student and employee should mean belonging to a community that provides good opportunities for development.
UiO will work systematically to become a sustainable insttution and actively enable students and staff to make climate-friendly choices. The global community has committed itself to a greenhouse gas reduction that can only be achieved if everyone shows impatience and acts now. UiO shall lead the way in environmental work, both nationally and internationally, and act as a role model for other institutions.