UiO's strategic plan for 2010-2020 (Strategy2020) was adopted by the University Board on 27 April 2010. Strategy2020 established a focus, as well as a level of ambition, for all UiO activities. A 10-year perspective was adopted to take account of rising expectations of universities in the period up to 2020. UiO aspires to be a front-runner and will adopt a highly ambitious approach to meet this trend.
"The University of Oslo will strengthen its international position as a leading research-intensive university through a close interaction across research, education, communication and innovation.
The "five universities"
The strategy document has five main chapters containing 28 subsidiary strategies. These adopt an integrated approach to the core roles traditionally ascribed to the university, rather than considering each in isolation:
1. A university transcending borders
2. A university for research-based education
3. A university in society
4. A university in action
5. The university of my choice
Some key objectives
The goal is for UiO to increase its contribution to academic developments internationally, as well as to the task of resolving the challenges facing society today. Some of the key objectives embraced in Strategy2020 include:
- increased emphasis on quality in research and teaching
- increased internationalisation
- greater interfaculty co-operation
- improved follow-up of students and employees
- better management
- a higher level of interaction between external and self-funded research