Mentoring programme for female postdocs
The mentoring programme is offered every year, starting in the fall and ending in early summer.
The application deadline for the 2019/20 program is 25 April, 2019.
- To reflect the different academic fields at the University
- To contribute to the career development of female postdocs including clarifying career goals and career opportunities
- To provide a framework for a mutually beneficial cross-functional learning relationship
- To contribute to the professional and personal development of mentees and mentors – as well as to developing the organization
Benefits for the mentees
- Clarifying career ambitions and career opportunities
- Focus on reflection and actions to further your learning and your career development
- Building relationships and networks for furthering your career
Benefits for the mentors
- Building relationships and networking with each other and new generation of researchers across the organization
- Sharpening your skills for spotting and developing talent
- Gaining new insight into the dynamics and learning opportunities of mentoring – also using these skills in your daily work and in your own departments and teams, developing the organization
Mentees must be female postdocs employed at UiO. The selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Mentee's motivation and arguments for participation
- Timeframe of post.doc position - preferably more than 6 months left of the research Project
- Participants are selected to represent different faculties and departments
- Employed at the University in at least a 50 % position
Mentors are men or women in academic top positions who are motivated to support the career development of a female postdocs from another faculty/department. The selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Interest in encouraging other people's growth
- Wish to develop oneself
- Ability to listen and serve as an inspiring discussion partner
- Willingness to reserve time for the duties of a mentor
All mentee and mentor candidates are asked to fill in an application form (online) to ensure the best possible match. Interviews are conducted with mentee candidates that fulfil the criteria and with mentor candidates as needed to ensure the best possible match.
The interviews will be carried out in June, on the 13, 14,17 and 18 June.
The matching will be based on the following criteria:
- Across faculties/departments to ensure a ”neutral” relationship (i.e. to avoid conflicts of interest)
- The interests of the mentees vs. the experience of the mentor
- The ability to challenge each other, ensuring diversity, all the while working from a point of commonality
- The programme starts in September and ends in June.
- During this period, mentors and mentees are expected to hold 6-10 meetings of 1,5-2 hours.
- In addition, some short seminars and master classes will be organized. (2-3 short seminars in 2019 and 2 seminars in 2020)
- The dates and more specific information of the events will be provided in the margin to the right. In addition, the participants will be invited to these events in Outlook. By accepting the invitation in Outlook, participants register for the event.
- Towards the end of the programme, a Mentor+Survey will be conducted online involving both mentors and mentees.
- It is expected that both mentors and mentees participate in all the activities that are part of the programme
- The seminars will be held in English
- We hope to have mentor- mentee meetings in a language both parties are comfortable with. Therefore we are recruiting both English speaking and Norwegian speaking mentors and mentees
Application deadline: 25 April, 2019
The admission for the program will be announced in week 18/19.
For detailed information about the programme please contact Equality Adviser Hege Elisabeth Løvbak, Department of Personnel Support.