Norwegian for international researchers - basic level 3
The course continues where basic level 2 left off, taking you several steps further into the language used in everyday life in Norway.
Students enjoying sophisticated conversations in Norwegian: soon you will be there as well!
Photo: Millimeterpress, John Hughes
After completing basic level 3, participants should, in most contexts, be able to:
- Understand the main ideas of radio and television programs
- Speak and understand Norwegian in everyday life
- Read simple authentic texts and newspaper articles
The course is based on topics presented in the media. We practice understanding Norwegian language (written and oral), read newspaper articles, watch the news, simulate relevant meeting situations, give presentations, etc. Participants work on both written and spoken language and Norwegian grammar. Participants receive feedback on their use of the language according to their individual work situations and needs.
- International researchers at UiO and accompanying spouses/partners who wish to improve their Norwegian language skills.
- International researchers at other research institutions are also welcome to take the course.
Basic communication skills in Norwegian. Participants must also be able to speak English.
Number of participants
Maximum 25 participants per group.
24 class hours; 3 class hours once a week for 8 weeks; courses start in February, April, September and November.
- 8 November 2018 - 24 January 2019, Thursdays 17-20, no class 13, 20, 27 December and 3 January.
- NOK 3 300 for researchers and spouses/partners
- NOK 4 100 for external researchers
Note: Reseachers should check with their host department whether full or partial sponsorship for Norwegian language courses is available. Please be aware that it is at the department's discretion how to handle this issue. Therefore, conditions will vary throughout the University.
Course material will be provided as handouts.
Erik Skuggevik, lecturer at the ISS.
For further information, please contact the ISS by e-mail, email@example.com.
To register, please fill out this on-line form. Applications are handled on a 'first come, first served' basis. As the number of spaces is limited, we encourage you to apply early.
Please have the following information ready before you fill out the form:
- Your contact information
- Your job title and department at UiO or the external institution you are affiliated with
- Contact information of the person or department that will pay for the course, if different than yourself. Please include the name, title and address of where we can send the bill
- Researchers employed at UiO must have their course participation approved by their immediate superior.
- The local administrator is expected to make the necessary arrangements for the approved course.
- Enrollment is binding.