Norwegian version of this page

Insurance during stays abroad

This is an overview of the most important types of insurance that are relevant to UiO employees during stays abroad.

Note: Most of these insurances require that you are a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme while abroad.

Travel insurance

Occupational injury insurance

Life insurance

Private insurances

  • In most cases, it will be appropriate to buy private insurance to complement the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme or similar rights in other countries. This may include health insurance and other insurance for theft, repatriation, accidents, liability, etc.
  • We strongly recommend considering a private health insurance for stays in the USA in particular. Contact your insurance company and perhaps a few other companies to get a quote. As an academic employee, you can also buy an attractively priced insurance through ANSA's student insurance ( (Norwegian).
  • Please note that an annual travel insurance usually only covers a specific number of days at the time, and requires you to return to Norway for it to regain validity. You should therefore look for a travel insurance that covers you for your entire stay abroad.
  • Most Norwegian insurance companies require you to be a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme while abroad. If you are not a member, you may need to buy insurance in the host country.
Did you find what you were looking for?
Published Oct. 30, 2012 2:20 PM - Last modified Nov. 1, 2018 9:45 AM