Norwegian version of this page

How do you report sick leave?

1. Notify your immediate superior

  • When you are absent from work because you, your child or the child's minder is sick, you must ensure that your personnel manager is notified on the first day of absence. If you have several employers, you must notify your immediate superior at each work place.
  • You should also provide an estimate of how long you will be absent.
  • The notification can be made by telephone, SMS or e-mail.
  • Consider if others that are affected by your absence should be notified, for example close colleagues or people you are scheduled to meet. But keep in mind that message of absence should not be sent to lists that have many recipients, such as an entire section. Be brief: just say you're sick, don't describe what is wrong with you.
  • Staff at the Department of Social Antropology should send an e-mail to or notify their immediate superior by phone or SMS (who sends an e-mail to

2. Report self-certified sick leave

3. Submit a medical certificate if necessary

  • If your illness extends beyond the self-certification period, you must submit a medical certificate.
  • A medical certificate must be issued by your doctor, or by others who have the right to issue medical certificates (e.g. a chiropractor or manual therapist).
  • All sick leave certified by a doctor is now followed up digitally on Where medical certificates are still issued on paper, for example in hospitals, these are scanned by NAV within a few days and must also be followed up digitally on
  • This is how you submit a digital medical certificate:
    • When you have been with your doctor and been declared sick, you will receive an SMS/e-mail with a link to your digital medical report.
    • You must log in to Ditt NAV > Ditt sykefravær ( (Norwegian) with your electronic ID and send the medical certificate electronically to the employer/immediate manager at once and at the latest within 14 days.
    • Upon submitting a digital medical certificate, sickness absence is registered directly in SAPDFØ, and you do not need to register it in the self-service portal.
    • If you are on partial sick leave, you must register working hours in the self-service portal
    • When the sick leave period is over, you will receive a new notice from NAV. Again you must log in to Ditt NAV > Ditt sykefravær ( (Norwegian) and fill in an application for sickness benefit before sending it to your employer. In some cases, you receive more than one notice, for example, if the sick leave period is longer than four weeks. Then you must fill in each application and send it to the employer continuously.
    • If you are declared sick by a doctor abroad, you must submit a self-declaration for foreign sick leave - NAV 08-09.06 ( and enclose the medical certificate. UiO will then be able to apply for a refund of sickness benefit  from NAV. Note: This applies only to countries within the EU/EEA. If you get sick outside of Europe, you will not be entitled to salary during sickness. However, if you have been on a holiday, you may be entitled to a replacement holiday. Read more about sickness and holiday.


See whom you can contact.

Published Nov. 8, 2012 4:04 PM - Last modified Dec. 13, 2021 10:51 AM