Focusing on the next generation of scientists, innovators and researchers, the activities under the Excellent Science pillar are inherently forward-looking. With a dedicated budget of €24,341 million, this pillar aims to build skills for the future, providing support for emerging talent from across the EU and associated countries, as well as worldwide.
Excellent Science supports bottom up, scientist driven research, and is divided across four main actions.
- Open to top researchers and their teams of any nationality or age.
- For frontier research in the 28 EU Member States or associated countries, including Norway.
- There are three ERC core funding schemes and two additional schemes.
- Developing European research infrastructure for 2020 and beyond.
- Foster their innovation potential and human capital.
- Complemented by related Union policy and international cooperation.
- Supporting collaborative research to extend Europe’s capacity for advanced and paradigm-changing innovation.
- Fostering scientific collaboration across disciplines on radically new and high-risk ideas.
- Accelerating development of the most promising emerging areas of science and technology.
- EU-wide structuring of corresponding scientific communities.
- Provide excellent and innovative research training.
- Attractive career and knowledge-exchange opportunities through cross-border and cross-sector mobility of researchers.
- Preparing researchers to face current and future societal challenges.