Practical information for speakers and chairs of sessions at The Political Origins of Health Inequities: Technologies in the Digital Age conference in New York City, 1 - 2 November 2019.
On this page, you will find information about:
- Conference venue
- Conference program
- Welcome Supper
- Conference Dinner
- Transport from JFK Airport to Washington Square Hotel
- Transport from La Guardia Airport to Washington Square Hotel
- Transport from Newark Airport to Washington Square Hotel
- Social media
- Contact number
Venue: Theresa Lang Student Center - The New School
Address: 55 W 13th St New York, NY 10011
Room: Arnhold Hall, room I202
There is no need to register, we will receive "speakers badges".
Hotel: The Washington Square Hotel
Address: 103 Waverly Place, New York
Telephone: (212) 777-9515
Amenities: Gym, Spa Services, Non-smoking, Restaurant and 2bards/lounges, Computer station, WIFI.
Nearby places: Greenwich Village, Washington Square Park, New York University and 5th Avenue.
Distance from the hotel to the conference venue: 0.4miles / 600 meters, approximately a 9 minute walk - please find a map here.
Day 1 – Friday, November 1st. 2019
Conference: 9:00 am 5:30 pm - see the full program
Meeting for speakers and advisory members on a special issue: 5:30 pm 6:00 pm. We would like to discuss interest in publishing conference presentations in an edited collection. Please join us to discuss this further!
Breakfast and Lunch will be served at the conference. There will be vegetarian, vegan and halal options.
Day 2 – Saturday, November 2nd. 2019
Conference: 9:00 am 1:00 pm - see the full program
Breakfast will be served at the conference. Coffee, tea and breakfast pastries will be served.
Advisory board meeting: 1:30 pm 4:30 pm
Guest speakers and advisory board members are cordially invited to a welcome supper hosted by Sakiko and Francis Parr on Thursday, October 31st.
Date: Thursday, October 31st
Starting time: 7:00 PM
Address: 250 West 94th St. Apt 2G
RSVP to email@example.com
Important notice: The dinner will take place on Halloween night. The Halloween parade will impact your journey, as it 6th Ave will be closed. The journey by subway (25-30 min) will likely be (much) quicker than by taxi.
Natalia has arranged a group departure from the hotel lobby at 18.15. Please meet us there!
- From the Washington Square Hotel, walk to Union Square (13min - see map here) and take the N/R/W/Q line. Please DO NOT take the 1 line on Christopher St. station after 6 pm, even if this is the closest station to the hotel (because of the Halloween Parade).
- Get off at Times Square and change to 2 or 3 line to 96th St station.
- The 96th St. stop is a block away, or at the corner of the apartment if you exit through the south end of the platform.
All guest speakers and Advisory panel members are invited to join us for a dinner following the first day of the conference, Friday, November 1st.
Dinner time: 6:30-8:30pm
Venue: Salam Restaurant
Address: 104 W 13th St, New York, NY 10011 (3min walk from the conference venue)
Type of cuisine: Middle Eastern. There will be vegetarian, vegan and halal options.
RSVP is not required, but encourage. RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The easiest: Subway ($7 USD)
- Take the Red AirTrain line to Jamaica.
- Get off in Jamaica AirTrain station, follow the signs for Manhattan and take the E train direction World Trade Center. Get off at West 4 St – Washington Square station (3min walk from the hotel)
The fastest: Train ($4.50 USD to $10.75 USD).
- Take the Red AirTrain line to Jamaica.
- Get off in Jamaica and take the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) train to Penn Station.
- Get off in Penn Station and take the A train direction “Far Rockaway” until West 4 St – Washington Square station (3min walk to the Hotel).
Taxi or Private Driver service
- Taxis at JFK Airport charge a flat fare of $52 for trips between the airport and Manhattan. Taxis impose a $4.50 surcharge during peak hours (4-8 p.m. weekdays, excluding holidays), for a fare of $56.50. Tipping is customary for good service. The mentioned fare does not include tolls or tip.
- Uber and other companies like Via and Lyft charge around $70 USD for a trip from the airport to the Hotel. This fare includes tolls and taxes. Tipping is customary for good service.
- Take the Q70 bus, which is a Select Bus Service (SDS) line. Remember to pay your fare before boarding the bus (using a MetroCard or the exact amount in coins - $5.50 USD).
- Get off at Roosevelt Av/74 St bus stop; transfer to the Roosevelt Av-Jackson Heights Subway Station and take the E line towards World Trade Center. Get off at West 4 St – Washington Square station (3min walk from the hotel)
Taxi or Private Driver
- Metered taxi service is available at all LaGuardia Airport terminal buildings. A taxi from LaGuardia to Manhattan has no flat fee like there is from JFK to Manhattan. Since the ride is on the meter, costs will depend on the amount of traffic and the amount of time spent in the taxi. Generally, a taxi from LGA to Manhattan can cost you between $35-$50, not including tolls, tip, and any applicable surcharges.
- Car Services, App-based Rides and Black Cars passenger pick-up area is located in Terminal B Parking Garage, Level 2. Follow signs on the departures level to the pick-up area and contact your car service/rideshare provider when you reach the pick-up area. Car service will pick-up from the Garage, Level 2, at all time. App-based Rides like Uber and Lyft can cost from $40.00 to $75.00.
From your terminal, take the AirTrain shuttle to the Newark Liberty International Airport AirTrain station. There, take a NJ Transit train going to New York Penn Station (remember to purchase a ticket before boarding - $12.00 USD).
Get off a Penn station; take the subway line A direction Downtown & Brooklyn and get off at at West 4 St – Washington Square station (3min walk from the hotel).
Taxi or driver service
- Newark Airport has taxi stands at every terminal and posted signs to show you the way. Depending on where you’re going, a taxi from Newark to Manhattan can cost between $50-$75, not including tolls and possible surcharges for oversized luggage. The local taxi commission will also add a surcharge of $5.50 for credit card payments.
- Uber or Lyft service from EWR to Manhattan is also available from Newark Airport. Please note that Via app is not available for EWR airport. Prices fluctuate depending on the time of day, demand, and the type of ride you select. They are usually around $40 to $70 USD.
By the end of the October and the start of November, average temperature range from 11°C to 15°C during daytime and drop to 7°C after dark.
Please help us disseminate what's going on during the conference.
Use the conference hashtag #Tek4HealthEquity
In case of emergency, you may ring Antoine de Bengy: +47 400 73 554