Pollution: Monitoring and Policy
How are international regulations of pollutants followed up nationally and locally in Norway and Tanzania?
The workshop will bring together Norwegian and Tanzanian environmental authorities to address how international regulations on persistent organic pollutants are met nationally and locally.
Presentations include perspectives on experiences, challenges and discussions of the effectiveness of the international regulations. Do they work?
This workshop is organised by the convergence environment AnthroTox as a part of the Oslo Life Science Conference 2020. AnthroTox is an interdisciplinary research project that aims to combine the social and natural sciences to understand global toxicants.
Target audience: Open to all
- 8.30 AM - 9.00 AM: Doors open and coffee is served
- 9.00 AM - 9.15 AM: Workshop begins. Welcome and introduction by Katrine Borgå, University of Oslo, Department of Life Sciences
- 9.15 AM - 9.40 AM: "Norway and the Stockholm Convention - national priorities and experiences" by Christina Tolfsen from the Norwegian Environmental Agency, Section for Biocides and Chemical Regulation
- 9.40 AM - 10.05: Presentation on Zanzibar, Tanzania and the Stockholm Convention - national priorities and experiences" by Aboud Jumbe, Head of Policy, Planning and Research, Department of the Environment, Zanzibar
- 10.05 AM - 10.30: "Global Monitoring Plan, Experiences and Perspectives" by Ramón Guardens, Advisor on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), Ministry of Ecological Transition, MITECO, Madrid, Spain
- 10.30 AM - 10.40 AM: Discussion
10.40 AM - 11.10 AM: Break with coffee and baguettes
- 11.10 AM - 11.35 AM: "Hazardous waste management in Norway". Presentation by Mette Follestad and Jon Fonnlid Larsen from the Norwegian Environmental Agency, Section for Waste and Recycling
- 11.35 AM - 12 NOON: Presentation: TBA
- 12 NOON - 12.15 PM: "Anthropological perspectives on international environmental regulations and monitoring - experiences from Zanzibar and Norway" by Franziska Klaas, PhD, University of Oslo, Department of Social Anthropology
- 12.30 PM - 1 PM: Discussion