This is a description of all the requirements for setting a strong and valid password or passphrase at UiO.
When choosing a password, it must:
- Not be identical to a previous password
Have a complexity score above 10.
The complexity of a password is measured in points. The score of a password depends on its length and the number of different character groups that are used.
The score is calculated by summing the points of the following rules, and dividing the result by 3.3:
- 4 points are awarded for the first character in the password.
- 2 points are awarded per character for characters in position 2 through 8.
- 1.5 points are awarded per character for characters in position 9 through 20.
- 1 point is awarded per character beyond position 20.
- 6 bonus points are awarded if the password contains characters from at least 3 of the 4 character groups (upper-case letters, lower-case letters, numbers and special characters.
- 2 extra bonus points are awarded if the previous rule is fulfilled, and the password contains 2 or more characters from each of the character groups.