ID number and opening a bank account

Norwegian ID number

Students staying for more than six months must register in the National Registry.

If you are living in Oslo, you must register at The Service Center for Foreign Workers (Skatt Øst) ( which is located in Schweigaardsgate 17.

You must bring:

  • Registration certificate (EU students) or Residence permit card (non-EU students)
  • Passport
  • Tenancy contract
  • Admission letter

At the Service Center you must fill in the form "Notfication of move to Norway from abroad".

Opening a bank account

Staying for 2 semesters or more (more than 6 months)

If you are staying for more than 6 months you must have a Norwegian ID number before you can open a bank account.

To open a bank account you need to meet up personally at the bank of your choice. Bring your National ID card or passport. Please expect several weeks for the account to be opened.

Staying for 1 semester (less than 6 months)

It has recently been brought to our attention that it is nearly impossible for those who are in Norway for six months or less (one semester) to open a Norwegian bank account. UiO therefore recommends that you bring with you a credit card (visa/master) that can be used in Norway/Europe during your stay in Norway.

However, if you still would like to open a bank account you must go to the bank of your choice and ask for this service. The bank must then apply for a D-number for you. Remember that this is an extra service and that some banks might say no. Please expect several weeks for the account to be opened.

Have you transferred money to the SiO Deposit account?

Some Non-EU students have transferred money to the SiO Deposit account in connection with their residence permit application.

In order to have the money transferred back to your Norwegian bank account, you must fill out this form.


Contact Knutepunktet - International Student Reception


Did you find what you were looking for?
Published Apr. 9, 2014 10:37 AM - Last modified May 15, 2018 3:07 PM