Residence permit for non-EU/EEA citizens

Students from outside the European Economic Area (EU- and Swiss Citizens) must apply for a residence permit (and a visa if applicable) immediately after they have received their Admission letter from the University of Oslo.

Register an application on

You will need the information below when registering your application for a student residence permit on

UiO organisation number: 971 035 854

E-mail address:

Address in Norway: c/o University of Oslo, International Student Reception, PO Box 1083 Blindern, N-0318 Oslo

  • When asked to send the application to a reference, please choose NO, as this has no relevance to your application.

Required documents

Please see the list of documents you must hand in (

Some of the required documents are available in Søknadsweb:

  • Admission letter from the University of Oslo
  • Study Plan letter addressed to the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI)

The Study Plan letter confirms that you are guaranteed student housing. You will therefore not need to present a housing contract.

How do I document financing?

The documentation regarding financing depends on your student status. Please go to the page that is aimed at your student status:

    Students admitted to exchange studies at UiO

    Students starting a degree programme at UiO

    The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) is the central agency for immigration administration in Norway.

    Study permit (

    Do I need a visa to enter Norway?