English proficiency for bachelor studies
How to check if I meet the English language requirement
- Use the GSU list (pdf format) to check your country.
- If the result is Yes (Ja), please see how to meet the requirement below.
- If the result is Yes (Ja) followed by a number (1, 2, 3 or 4), please open the language requirement list (pdf format) and check the result. Explanation of number 1 starts at the end of page 1 to be continued on page 2. Explanation of number 2 - 4 is to be found at page 3.
How do I document the English language requirement
You can document your English language proficiency by taking a recognised English test:
- IELTS academic with a minimum total score of 5.0.
Upload the official copy of your test result with a legible TRF number in the bottom right corner. The University of Oslo will verify your test result online. It is currently not possible to submit test results with an IELTS institutional code.
- TOEFL internet-based test (IBT) with a minimum score of 60 Points.
Upload a copy of your test result. Add the University of Oslo as a recipient of your test result, using our institution code 0756. This will enable us to verify your test result online. Which department code you choose is not relevant.
TOEFL test results must not be older than two years. Please make sure that your test result is valid at the time of application.
University of Cambridge exams
- University of Cambridge exams - First Certificate in English or Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
You must send your results to the University of Oslo via the Cambridge English Candidate Results Website. Login using your 'ID number' and 'secret number' and click 'Send my result'. In addition, you must upload your Statement of Results to the application portal.
- The University of Michigan, English Language Institute Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- APIEL with a minimum of 4 points
- Pearson PTE Academic with a minimum score of 51.
- TELC English B2 or English B2-C1 University or all certificates at C1 and C2 level.
- Native speakers of English from UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia with English as a subject in their secondary education.
- Students who have completed a minimum of one year's university studies in academic subjects in UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia.
- Students who have completed a bachelor degree with English as a language of instruction in one of the Nordic countries.
- Students who have a degree in English language and/or literature.
- Students who have completed a master's degree taught in English (language of instruction must be documented).
- Students with International Baccalaureate (IB) education with HL or SL English with a minimum grade of 3.
About the English language requirement
The English language requirement to studies at bachelor's level at Norwegian universities is set by NOKUT (the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education).The requirement is listed in the GSU list (Higher Education Entrance Qualification for Persons with Foreign Education) with more specific information in the language requirement list.