Visa and recidence permit for non EU/EEA students
Students from outside the EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit (and if applicable a visa) in order to start your studies in Norway.
Apply for VISA/residence permit
- If you are a non-EU citizen you must start the application process as soon as you receive admission to UiO.
- Apply for VISA/residence permit
Documentation of financing
In order to be granted a residence permit/visa to Norway as a non-EU student, UDI requires that you show documentation that you have enough money to live on while studying in Norway.
Documents to be handed in to the embassy/consulate/VFS
- Admission and Study plan letter (available in Søknadsweb/Studentweb)
- Master degree students admitted autumn 2021 or 2022, and who plan to arrive after 1 September:
If you cannot enter Norway within 1 September, you must contact your study programme directly to enquire about the possibility of arriving later.
Please note that the UDI will need a confirmation letter from your department stating the last entry date in order to keep your place of study.
- Progress report is applicable for master degree students who will complete the first year of study digitally from abroad.
- Master degree students with leave of absence or postponement must submit relevant documentation issued by their faculty (only if applicable).
Registration with the police
Students must register and book and appointment with the police. It is the students own responsibility to do this.
- Register your arrival and book an appointment with the police on https://selfservice.udi.no/ or by calling tel: 22 34 21 00. For information see here.
- In the online portal, choose: Oslo Police District, Department of Immigration
- You must register with the police within 7 days after your arrival in Norway.
Bring the following documents for your appointment:
- Passport or national ID card
- Address in Norway written on a piece of paper
- Receipt from the SiO Residence Permit Deposit Account (if applicable)