Visa and recidence permit for non EU/EEA students
Students from outside the EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit (and if applicable a visa) in order to start your studies in Norway.
Apply for VISA/residence permit
- If you are a non-EU citizen you must start the application process as soon as you receive admission to UiO.
- Apply for VISA/residence permit
Documentation of financing
In order to be granted a residence permit/visa to Norway as a non-EU student, UDI requires that you show documentation that you have enough money to live on while studying in Norway.
Documents to be handed in to the embassy/consulate/VFS
- Admission and Study plan letter (available in Søknadsweb/Studentweb)
- Progress report for the academic year 2020/2021: This is applicable for Master students admitted autumn 2020 and who have completed the first year of study digitally from abroad.
Registration with the police
Students must register and book and appointment with the police. It is the students own responsibility to do this.
- Register your arrival and book an appointment with the police on https://selfservice.udi.no/ or by calling tel: 22 34 21 00. For information see here.
- In the online portal, choose: Oslo Police District, Department of Immigration
- You must register with the police within 7 days after your arrival in Norway.
Bring the following documents for your appointment:
- Passport or national ID card
- Address in Norway written on a piece of paper
- Receipt from the SiO Deposit Account (if applicable)