National ID number

EU/EEA citizens

Students staying for more than six months must register in the National Registry. If you are living in Oslo, you must register and book an appointment at The Service Center for Foreign Workers (Skatt Øst). Skatt øst is located in Schweigaardsgate 17.

You must bring:

  • Police registration certificate
  • Passport
  • Tenancy contract
  • Admission letter

At the Service Center you must fill in the form Notfication of move to Norway from abroad.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a student from a country outside of the EU/EEA area, you will register for the National Registry at the same time as you meet with the police to order a residence permit card.  

  • The police will notify the Tax Administration (Skatt Øst) on your behalf. 
  • The Tax Administration will send you a letter with a Norwegian identification number. You will receive an national identity number or D number (temporary ID number).  
  • If you are staying more than 6 months and have received an D number, you may register a move to Norway in order to receive a national identity number. 

Staying for 1 semester (less than 6 months)

  • Students staying only 1 semester are not entitled to a National ID number, and do not have to contact the National Registry. 

Important: You must notify the police if you have changed your address, so that the correct residence address is registered in the National Registry. The letter with your D-number will be sent to the address you gave to the police. 

Tax deduction card

If you plan to work while studying in Norway you need to apply for a tax deduction card, and meet with the Tax Administration (Skatt Øst).

For more information, please see the Tax Administration's website on how foreign citizens apply for tax cards.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Published Nov. 27, 2019 6:18 PM - Last modified Oct. 19, 2020 10:20 AM