Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
The required specialization consists of 80 ECTS credits where the following are included:
- 30 ECTS credits in total wihin mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum physics and thermodynamics
- 30 ECTS credits from the following groups, where at least one topic from each group must be included:
- Observations / optics / instrumentation / data analysis
- Special / general theory of relativity / cosmology
- Gas dynamics / radiation transport / stellar evolution / particle physics / advanced quantum physics
- 20 ECTS credits in physics, mathematics, astronomy, astrophysics, statistics or informatics, that are not basic courses.
Numerical calculations must be included in the required specialization, as a separate course or as part of other courses.
Former knowledge in astronomy/astrophysics is not a requirement, but is considered an advantage.
The following courses from the University of Oslo will cover the required specialization:
- AST2000 - Introduction to astrophysics
- AST2210 - Observational Astronomy
- AST3220 - Cosmology I
- AST3310 - Astrophysical plasma and stellar interiors
- FYS-MEK1110 - Mechanics
- FYS1120 - Electromagnetism
- FYS2140 - Quantum physics
- FYS2160 - Thermodynamics and statistical physics
- GEO-AST3410 - Planetary Sciences
If you fulfilled all admission requirements for the Master's Programme in Astronomi, according to the requirements as they were in autumn 2016, you will qualify for this programme option until the end of 2021.
Further documentation for this program
If you have completed studies/courses outside the University of Oslo, you must upload course descriptions. The course names and codes on the course descriptions must match the transcript of records.
Ranking of applicants
Selection is based on your academic performance in the required subjects for this programme.
Applicants are ranked according to their grade average in the required specialization. If an applicant has more than 80 ECTS credits in the required specialization, the 80 ECTS credits with the highest grades will form the grade average.