Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Required academic background (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
The required specialization consists of 80 ECTS credits where the following, or equivalent, courses are included:
- 60 ECTS credits of chemistry courses with laboratory, including:
- KJM1101 – Generell kjemi
- KJM2400 – Analytical chemistry I
- 20 ECTS credits within chemistry or material science at advanced undergraduate level (3000 level). The courses BIOS3xxx - Biogeochemistry, BIOSxxxx - Toxicology or GEO3100 – Environmental Geology may also be included. If a course equivalent to KJM3400 – Analytical Chemistry II, BIOSxxxx - Biogeochemistry or GEO31xx - Environmental geology is not included in your bachelor's degree, one of the courses KJM4400 - Analytical chemistry II, BIOSxxxx - Biogeochemistry or GEO41xx - Envionmental geology must be taken as part of the theoretical curriculum for the master's degree.
- 20 ECTS credits of unspecified chemistry courses
- 10 ECTS credits within mathematics
- 10 ECTS credits within physics
If you fulfilled all admission requirements for the Master's Programme in Chemistry, according to the requirements as they were in autumn 2017, you will qualify for this programme option until the end of 2021.