This study programme starts in August.
When to apply
- EU/EEA/Swiss applicants: from 1 February until 1 March
- Nordic citizens and applicants with a permanent or renewable residence permit in Norway: from 1 February until 15 April
- Non-EU/EEA applicants: from 1 October until 1 December
How to apply
- EU/EEA/Swiss applicants: Application procedure
- Nordic citizens and applicants with a permanent or renewable residence permit in Norway: Application procedure
- Non-EU/EEA applicants: Application procedure
Admission to master's degree studies requires:
- country list. and a completed bachelor's degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor's degree. Applicants with foreign education, please refer to the
- a specialization defined by the programme
- a minimum grade average of C (in the Norwegian grading scale) or equivalent from the specialization in your degree.
- a language requirement documented by one of the tests/exams below:
a) Passed examination in English foundation course (140 hours/5 periods per week) with a minimum grade of 4 in Norwegian upper secondary school (or an equivalent grade from a Nordic upper secondary school) or passed examination in English from second and/or third school year in Norwegian upper secondary school, or
b) An internationally recognised English language proficiency test.
Specialization defined by the programme option Nordic Music
- A bachelor's degree with a specialization (80 ECTS credits) in any subject,
- at least 30 ECTS in musicology. If the specialization does not contain academic courses on a second or third year level (in the case of US bachelor's degrees, 3rd or 4th year level), at least 10 ECTS credits of the 30 in musicology must be on this level.
You have to upload all required documents in UiO's online application portal.
Ranking of applicants
Applicants are ranked according to their grade average in the specialization of their degree. Applicants who cannot be ranked according to their grade average, will be ranked on the basis of an individual assessment.
You normally cannot be admitted to a master's degree programme or study option within the same subject area as a previously completed master's degree at the University of Oslo.
For applicants with 30 ECTS credits in music in addition to their specialization, the ranking will be based on 50 ECTS credits from their specialization and 30 ECTS credits in music/musicology.
Please note that even if you fulfill the minimum grade requirement, this does not guarantee you a study place in the programme.
Recognition of prior education
If you have previous higher education, you may apply for specific recognition of this education as part of your degree. Education from both Norwegian and non-Norwegian higher education institutions may be recognised. Recognition depends upon whether the education meets the specific requirements of your degree. Read more about recognition of prior education.