Get your admission requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
- A specialization of at least 80 ECTS credits in humanities or social sciences OR
- A specialization of at least 80 ECTS credits in informatics, and at least 30 ECTS credits in
humanities and/or social sciences, which might be a part of the specialization/major or come in
addition to it.
Further documentation for this program
- You must upload a motivation letter of maximum one page A4.
In the motivation letter you should elaborate on your educational and/or professional background and how it is relevant fo this program. Please also specify topics or areas of research that you would like to focus on in your thesis.
Ranking of applicants
Applicants are ranked:
- according to the grade average in their specialization in humanities or social sciences of at least 80 ECTS credits, or
- according to their grade average on the basis of 80 ECTS credits as follows: 30 credits in humanities (and)/or social sciences and the best grades in the specialization in informatics amounting to 50 ECTS credits.
Applicants who cannot be ranked according to their grade average, will be ranked on the basis of an individual assessment. In addition to your grade average, your motivation letter will be evaluated and taken into consideration when ranking your application for admission.